Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

intermitent Connection

ThreeNineteen
Dabbler

intermitent Connection

Good afternoon Plusnet,

Your online chat is always busy, so I have to use this forum. I don't do phones. 2 questions..

1. My connection has been dropping out for the last 3 months. I have to switch off my wireless & then back on & it usually works. Can you help me with this?

2. Can you tell me when my contract is up please?

Many thanks.

49 REPLIES 49
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

Re: intermitent Connection

Welcome to the forums @ThreeNineteen.

I'm not Plusnet staff, but if it is only the wireless you have to switch on and off, and not the router, that suggests a wireless problem - have a look at the Help pages for guidance on this.

As to your contract end date, that should be visible if you log into 'My Account' - link at the top of the page. I know there have been a few people who for some reason can't see that - in which case, you will have to wait for one of the PN Help Team on here to pick up this thread.

If you need more help, post back.

John
ThreeNineteen
Dabbler

Thanks John, for such a swift reply, I shall do both of those things! Many thanks..

ThreeNineteen
Dabbler

Hi, I can't run the broadband troubleshooter without the connection dropping.

And the contract just says "Unlimited".

Any help?

jab1
Legend

@ThreeNineteenNo problem as regards the response time Smiley, I was just sat waiting for phone call.

Ignore the troubleshooter for the moment. As I asked, but unfortunately you didn't answer, is it just the wireless, or do you mean you have to reboot the router itself?

Your comment about the troubleshooter suggests a line problem. Do you have a corded phone you can connect to the test socket on you phone socket? If you do, disconnect the phone and router from the phone-line, plug the phone into test socket and dial 17070, follow the prompts and select option 2 and listen - there should be no noise..If there is, report a phone problem to whoever you pay your line rental - a noisy phone-line will not support a reliable internet service.

Come back with the result, and we can see what the next step could be.

John
ThreeNineteen
Dabbler

Sorry, it's just the wireless I have to switch on & off, not the router. My PC tells me that there's a connection when nothing loads in my browser, & sometimes tells me that there's none at all.

I did the test. The line is quiet except for a "very faint shhhh", which I'm assuming is normal. I've never encountered a silent line! Thanks for all your help, btw.

jab1
Legend

Good, that makes life easier, as we hopefully won't have involve BT/OpenReach.Smiley

Now we need to sort the wireless issue. Have a look at the 'Help with Wi-Fi' section under the Broadband heading in 'Help and Support' and see if that can solve your problem.

Nearly forgot - I would raise the question of your contract end date as a separate question on the 'My Account' board - more chance of staff spotting that.

John
ThreeNineteen
Dabbler

Hey jab1,

I followed most of the things I can follow under the Wi - Fi heading. My router is atop a chest of draws, in the corner of my bedroom, which is where the master phone socket comes in. It is connected to a cordless phone. Can't move it anywhere else as no other phone sockets in the flat. It's never further than 4 metres from me at any time.

OK, I'll post in the "My Account" forum. I hope you're getting commission for all this advice!

jab1
Legend

OK, if iti s that close it doesn't look like a location problem. Next couple of questions, then I'm out for the evening.

1. What are you using to connect to the web - phone or desktop/laptop or tablet/what make/model?

2. How tech-savvy are you? just so I know how to go to the next steps.

3. Which router do you have - details should be on the bottom?

Nope - no commission, I'm just a customer like you, but I've been dealing with computers for about 30 years - just picked things up as I've gone along.Wink

John
ThreeNineteen
Dabbler

1. Laptop, Lonovo Z50, with RealTek RTL8723BE Wireless adaptor & the latest drivers.
2. Erm, used computer's for 33 years, can change my laptop battery & install an OS, that's about it!
3. A 2704N router.

If you need to go, by all means, I'm not in a rush.

jab1
Legend

1. Glad it's a laptop - presumably running a Windows OS? Was worried you were going to say a mobile phone.Smiley, although that wouldn't be insurmountable.

2. You must be about the same age as me then. if you can install an OS, a program shouldn't be a problem - have a look for and install 'Acrylic Wi-Fi Home'

3 I was afraid you were going to say a 2704N - without being unkind to Plusnet, I've no idea why they use those, the number of Wi-Fi performance issues reported on here is scary.

I'll leave you with that for tonight, but I'll be around between 1000-1500 tomorrow and we'll see what, if anything we can do to sort this. I'm pleased to see someone who follows their query - had a couple of new users ask questions then don't respond when you reply.

John
ThreeNineteen
Dabbler

I'll install it now.

Thank you loads John, it's rare to have someone so generous with their time! I wonder why they use that router, if there are known problems with it?!

I'll be about tomorrow, so will try to catch you then. Many thanks!

jab1
Legend

@ThreeNineteen Whenever you're ready - I'm stuck here until at least 3.30PM CrySmiley

John
ThreeNineteen
Dabbler

Wherever "here" is, I'm sorry you're stuck.

Plusnet sent me a message this morning, telling me the SNR was set too low for the length of my line. They've increased it, so they "expect" the connection to stabilize. 

The program I downloaded yesterday looked interesting, if only to prove that her downstairs has a superior connection on the dreaded TalkTalk.

So, do you reckon that'd fix the problem John? Any tips?!

jab1
Legend

Sorry for the late reply, @ThreeNineteen - for some reason, my phone hasn't stopped ringing for the past hour and a half Ticked_off

Anyway, glad PN are helping you - although this action doesn't usually solve Wi-Fi issues, it will help to stabalise your connection to the 'outside world' i.e. between you and the exchange.

The only other thing I can suggest at the moment, whilst it won't solve the dropping Wi-Fi signal, is to make sure you're on  the least congested of channels 1, 6 or 11 as shown in that prog.

John