cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

interferance, advise please

lenny
Grafter

interferance, advise please

i hope someone could explain this or advise on how it happens .
i have enclose a graph of my snr from router stats light  showing noise on the line , i have been around the house and have had everything turned of and its still there , turned things on one at a time and it makes no difference
the wife has a vibro plate exercise machine that she has not used for a while  and decided to have a go , my snr dropped from 9.4 to 7.8 while the machine was on with a decrease in noise on the line , i thought this was a drop in my snr at first but as soon as she turned the vibro plate of the snr jumped again , i got her to switch it on again and the same thing happened till turned of and un plugged from the electric ,  you will see the 2 times that the machine was on at the end of the graph
Any ideas or comments please
15 REPLIES 15
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: interferance, advise please

Hi Lenny,
You're probably looking at one of two causes there.
The vibration machine may be causing a frequency that is conflicting with the high frequencies your router is using. Alternately it might be electrical interference.
Either way if possible I'd make sure the machine and the router are as far apart as possible. It may also be worth running power to the machine from an extension connected in another room just to see if it helps rule out electrical interference.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
lenny
Grafter

the machine is directly above the router  :(, will try the extension lead and see what happens , apart from those drops caused by the machine how does the graph look
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Hi lenny, again Wink
If the steps in the SNRM coincide directly with the switching on/off of the exercise machine then it's definitely chucking out some electrical interference that's affecting part (or all) of the ADSL spectrum. It's worth trying Adam's suggestion, even a different Ring main if you have one, but not only as far away as possible from the Router, but also the phone line.
TBH I'd be surprised if it makes that much difference but anything is worth a try in these situations. How much power  does this machine use? It might be worth considering running it from an extension lead that has a Filtered socket on the end. Note Filtered, that's not the same as Surge Suppression.
As for your SNRM graph, it shows you still have some sort of problem with the line and the interference is masking some of the noise variations.
lenny
Grafter

i have tried with a extension lead plugged in to the other bedroom and it was the same, plugged the extension lead in to a down stairs socket and started the machine and it dropped to 6 db , turned the extension off and unplugged and back to 9.3db, its the first time she has used this for a couple of months ( looks as though its going to the tip or gumtree )
what can i do about the other noise on the line please
graph showing extension lead and one showing machine turned off and unplugged again
Anotherone
Champion

I suppose not surprisingly it was even worse when nearer the Modem/router.
So what's happened about your line fault last post here?
lenny
Grafter

I have just reported the intermittent noise and crackling  on the line and was told that as the problem was not happening now and they had tested the line and looking at my stats my line was stable and nothing would be done , i have to report it when it starts again and if they test and find a fault they will open up a ticket for bt , but its intermittent, its there one phone call and not the next
Anotherone
Champion

Sounds like a load of buck passing to me, but as I keep repeating, don't mention the broadband, if you do, they look at the stats as you've just mentioned, and say your line is stable and do nothing.
When it crops up bluntly report the noise on the line, and say you are sick and tired of Openreach doing nothing but test the line, say it's ok and not physically looking for the Intermittent break which certainly appears when it's windy. You have had dropped calls, as well as the noise disrupting calls and you expect something to be done.
lenny
Grafter

He said that the line was stable and there had been no disconnects to which I replied I am not talking about broadband I am talking about the intermittent fault on the phone line , but he was having nothing more to do with it
This was on plusnet chat reporting a line fault not a broadband fault,  I did not mention broadband , the advisor brought that up
Anotherone
Champion

He must have been looking at your ticket history. Start another ticket next time if when you use the Chat to report the phone line you get the same BS.
lenny
Grafter

When I tried to report the line fault this time it would not let me open a ticket it went straight to chat after the line test
Anotherone
Champion

Did it now, that's very interesting, what time of day was that? Try it after the Chat closes or before it opens and see what happens.
lenny
Grafter

It was about 19.30 tonight
Anotherone
Champion

Noted.
cedlor
Grafter

Hi lenny  - when you say the crackle is on some calls but not others have you tried the BT  Quiet Line test.
Are the calls to/from the same phone (could the fault be at their end)
This says how to do it though you need a wired telephone
https://support.zen.co.uk/kb/Knowledgebase/Performing-a-Quiet-Line-Test