Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer desktop download throttled?

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

iPlayer desktop download throttled?

I have been downloading two programs on the BBC iPlayer desktop since around 7 a.m. this morning.  It is taking much longer than usual because neither will download faster than 1 Mbps.  If I pause one download the speed of the other does not increase as it normally does.  My Plusnet "current line speed" is  6 Mbps so I should be able to download a lot faster and always have done in the past.  It looks as if some kind of throttle is being applied that did not apply previously.
3 REPLIES 3
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

Re: iPlayer desktop download throttled?

Nobody else saw this, eh?  Well whatever the problem was, it has resolved itself now, 12:45; back to downloading at a reported 5Mbps.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

I've just been checking with our traffic management guru and there isn't a rate limit applied on this type of traffic at that time in the morning. Can you let us know if this happens again so we can do some more digging and see what's going on.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

Thanks, Chris, I'll do that.  But as it never happened before I'm rather hoping it never happens again!