cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlate not compatible - so what now?

kingkobra
Grafter

iPlate not compatible - so what now?

Doing the postcode check on BT, it says my line should be capable of sustaining a 5Mb connection, but I currently sync anywhere between 2 and 3 Mb.
I looked into the BT iPlate that isolates the bell wire from the internal wiring, but it is not compatible with my socket. My internal wiring consists of:
1. External wire comes into the house into a small white box. This box just has a wire coming out the other side, and no phone connection on it.
2. This internal wire leads to the first phone connection. This has three extension wires coming out of it, one downstairs and two upstairs. It also has the Sky box plugged into the phone socket via an ADSL filter.
3. My ADSL router is plugged into one of the upstairs extensions, along with a DECT phone base unit via an ADSL filter.
Now, I understand I can disconnect the bell wire manually from all the extensions myself, but I am confused as to the demarkation point between BT owned wiring, and my owned wiring, as this was all in place when I moved into the house.
Is the end of BT's network this small box that you can't plug anything into, or is it the first proper phone socket?
Also, I understnad that even if I manage to disconnect the bell and get a faster connection, then it may just reduce to its current speed due to my low IP profile at the exchange?
Sadly there is no way I can connect directly to the first phone socket in the system without drilling lots of holes, so need to get the best ADSL connection I can via the extension.
21 REPLIES 21
SteveA
Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: iPlate not compatible - so what now?

You might be able to get BT to come out and replace that connector box with a proper master socket.
James
Grafter

Hi,
Basically, your speeds are low because of your IP Profile.  Your IP Profile is determined by your sync speed which in turn is determined by the length of your line, quality of your hardware and the quality of your internal wiring.
If you fix your internal wiring, your sync speed and thus IP Profile should increase.
Having BT relocate/install a master socket doesn't sound like a bad idea.
kingkobra
Grafter

I hear BT charge something like £160 to replace the master socket Smiley
I'm not having any voice issues, so I doubt they will do it for free.
James
Grafter

Where did you get that figure from?  It seems a bit high to me.
I think the socket itself is £15+VAT and I believe the first hours charge is £65.  Not 100% sure though.
kingkobra
Grafter

Just an approximate figure i've seen banded around on various forums discussing the 'replacement' issue.
I really don't want to spend a large amount of cash on replacing the master socket it it'll have little noticable affect. If it is my internal wiring, and I can solve some of the issue by disconnecting the bell wires, then I would rather just do that for now and then start a phone and network rewiring project the next time I have to re-decorate the house Smiley
If i plug the router into the master socket temporarily, will this give me an indication of how my sync speed will be if my internal wiring is good?
How much of an impact do you think the unused bell wires will be having on my sync speed? I have three extensions connected to the master socket, but only one of them is used for the phone base unit and the ADSL router.
James
Grafter

Yep - Should be able to get a good indication, although that won't show what it would be like with the bell wire removed.
The important figures are the attenuation, synchronisation (connection rate) and noise margin.
kingkobra
Grafter

OK. Well im not at home at the moment, so can't check current stats, but when I looked last night they were
Atten: 47db
SNR: 12db
Sync:  cant be more accurate than this at the moment, but its usually between 2200 and 3500 Kbps
If i do a check on BTs speed tester, if i just put in the postcode, it says i should get a sync of 5000kbps, but if i put in my actual phone number it says 1500 kbps.
When I disconnect the bell wire, should I be looking for lower or higher Attenuation/SNR?
Thanks for your quick responses by the way Smiley
James
Grafter

You may see a drop in attenuation and SNR, but you're really looking for an increase in sync.
mal0z
Grafter

Quote from: Jameseh
I think the socket itself is £15+VAT and I believe the first hours charge is £65.  Not 100% sure though.

James - It would help many I think if PN could get a definitive price from BT Openreach ( that would be honoured by PN and published on your website)  to visit and install the latest style of Master socket, with IPlate.
I have a friend who badly needs this done - but the stories of £160+ that kingkobra refers to has frightened him off doing it.
James
Grafter

It depends on how long the work takes though.  There's the cost of the hardware, the call out fee and any time related charges past the first hour.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 395

It also has the Sky box plugged into the phone socket via an ADSL filter.

Have you ever tried with the Sky box disconnected ? They are notorious for interfering with ADSL.
If you have to have it connected then a trick that sometimes improves things is to 'double filter' the Sky box i.e plug the Sky box into a separate ADSL filter, which in turn plugs into the ADSL filter connected to your telephone socket.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

kingkobra
Grafter

I haven't tried that to be honest, but I will.
If the bell wire fix works, im also going to try getting some new ADSL filters. Mine are six or seven years old now and I suspect the quality of them should be better nowadays.
kingkobra
Grafter

Me, again.
Just taken the front off the master socket, and was confused to see an orange wire on terminal 5, along with the white/blue wires.
I have attached a photo. Is it safe to remove this wire as well? I'm not even sure why its there?
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Terminals two and five need to stay connected afaik.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵