cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPhone / iPad 2 - Unable to connect to network "Plusnet...

edjr76

iPhone / iPad 2 - Unable to connect to network "Plusnet...

Hello,
Please could you help? I've been using an iPhone with my wi-fi for the best part of a year now, with no problems, however I tried to connect an iPad2 to the wireless today, and the message in the title of the post came up. I then tried to connect to the wi-fi with my iPhone, and that has now given up the ghost on wi-fi. Has anyone else had this problem, and if so, a solution?
Thanks in advance!
8 REPLIES 8
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: iPhone / iPad 2 - Unable to connect to network "Plusnet...

You won't like this - if is was me having spent a significant amount of money on an iPad i would spend a little bit more and buy a decent router
edjr76

Any ideas on what to go for? Is it definitely the fact that the router's not very good that the iThings won't work on the wireless network, and why would the iPhone start disliking the router because i try and attach the iPad?
Your knowledge is most appreciated btw (even if it was a little sarcastic!)
Thanks.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

As regards which router - the first question is whether you need wireless N and if there is a fair distance from the router to the iPad etc.
What you could try is to get one from Amazon as their returns policy is superb.
My next router will probably be a Billion 7700N http://www.amazon.co.uk/Billion-BiPAC-7700N-Wireless-Firewall/dp/B004WJSRN2/ref=sr_1_2?s=computers&i... but I would wait for some suggestions from other iPad users - one regular recommendation seems to be a BT Home Hub from Ebay but that is probably just Wireless G
By the way I wasn't being sarcastic I just think that the emasculated firmware on the Thompson routers is a pile of rubbish

spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Is your Thomson router a TG585v7 or v8? (The model number is printed on the labels underneath.)
If it's a v8, is the software version 8.2.7.7 or 8.2.7.8? The former version is known to have Wi-Fi connectivity problems with certain Apple devices.
If the software needs updating see this article. Alternatively you could request Plusnet to do it remotely for you.
David
David
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: Oldjim
one regular recommendation seems to be a BT Home Hub from Ebay but that is probably just Wireless G

Home Hub 3 is certainly Wireless N, and I think the Home Hub 2.0B is N as well. I haven't tried any of the earlier ones.
edjr76

All, thanks for your help. I've updated the firmware, and the iThings now work on wireless. Unfortunately my laptop no longer does (any ideas?). The Thomson router's going out of the window any second now, and I'm taking OldJim's advice and buying a Billion router.
Once again, thanks to all!
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

If your laptop supports wireless 'n' sometimes there are incompatibility problems with wireless 'n' on the TG585v8. You could try changing the router's wireless mode to 802.11b/g (or just 802.11g) instead of 802.11b/g/n.
To change this
login to the router
click Home Network on the left
click WLAN in the centre
click Configure top right.
change the Interface Type as required
click Apply to save the settings.
David
David
edjr76

Thanks David, I ended up calling Plusnet, who told me to change the channel (log in to router and change them there). I've done that, and all is well again.
Thank you to all again.