cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

i hate the restriction that plusnet has forced upon us all!

paqize
Grafter

i hate the restriction that plusnet has forced upon us all!

i hate the change that plusnet has forced upon us all! i mean, before you could go over your bandwidth limit without the download speed deteriorating once one is over their download limit. the download speed doesnt just deteriorate to about 15KB, it also stays at 15KB during the the unlimited usage hours. this is a big deal since i dont use much bandwidth in the day time, the value pack is a perfect choice for me, or at least was...  Angry
44 REPLIES 44
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: i hate the change that plusnet has forced upon us all!

It has always been like that on the current products
The alternative (on my old product) was that the the internet was blocked once you reached the usage limit
Zap
Grafter

Quote from: paqize
i hate the change that plusnet has forced upon us all! i mean, before you could go over your bandwidth limit without the download speed deteriorating once one is over their download limit. the download speed doesnt just deteriorate to about 15KB, it also stays at 15KB during the the unlimited usage hours. this is a big deal since i dont use much bandwidth in the day time, the value pack is a perfect choice for me, or at least was...  Angry

In time the 10gb will not be enough to attract new customer and it will have to go up, just wondering, if the extra capacity was priced without the £5 minimum, in fact with no minimum and priced in units of 0.01p for daytime usage, would you have just bought more?
paqize
Grafter

once i reached 10GB, the speed dropped because i didnt pay the 5 quid for the extra 5GB (i had set the maximum price limit to 0). this is a recent change, i dont know why the above replay from a mod disagrees. i have gone over the 10GB limit before, without any speed issues. wish others that have experienced this come forth. and yes 1p per day would be alot better & cheaper. a 20GB monthly usage would be the best thing if plusnet really values us...
Adie:quote
itsme
Grafter

it's not a change as the newer products it has always been £5 for 5gb. If you stayed on an older product it's still £2 for 2gb.
Zap
Grafter

Quote from: paqize

once i reached 10GB, the speed dropped because i didnt pay the 5 quid for the extra 5GB (i had set the maximum price limit to 0). this is a recent change, i dont know why the above replay from a mod disagrees. i have gone over the 10GB limit before, without any speed issues. wish others that have experienced this come forth. and yes 1p per day would be alot better & cheaper. a 20GB monthly usage would be the best thing if plusnet really values us...
[Moderator's note by Adie (Adiewoo):  Full quote of preceding post removed, as per Forum Rules ]

To clarify what I was asking was no 1p a day but just extra traffic charged at current prices but in 1p increments.  You would still get the email warning and still be able to turn off the tap but my feeling is that the £5 minimum is a barrier that actually keeps people from naturally growing their usage and trading up.
Imagine if your electricity or gas was provided in £5 chunks with no carry over, nobody would put up with that.
I also argued for an additional product at £9.99 (14.99 for expensive exchanges) with a 25gb or 30gb allowance as a stepping stone between VALUE and EXTRA (I called it PLUS). 
As you had gone over your limit I was interested to know if the £5 minimum with no carry over was preventing you buying more and whether the removal of this and a simple metre charged for traffic at the same rate of £1 per gb (of daytime use) but billed in 1p increments would have encouraged you to remove your block of billing?

WWWombat
Grafter

I think there *have* been some changes, but it isn't obvious exactly what...
For a long time, the new tariffs have all included the ability to buy extra GB for use in peak periods (though my package is too old to have this feature), and to specify in the control panel what is the maximum monthly spend on the extra peak-GB capacity.
PlusNet used to charge £1 per GB over allowance. They haven't changed the rate, but they have set a minimum - so that you can only buy the extra capacity in 5GB bundles (ie £5 at a time).
I have seen (at the time of that change to a £5 minimum) a comment from Plusnet staff saying that, if you set a maximum spend of £0, then your speeds stay restricted in the off-peak periods as well as the peak periods. I don't know if this is a change - but it sounds like the OP is experiencing this, and that he does see it as a change.
From the way the comments were worded, I assumed this to mean that if you had a non-zero maximum spend, and you used the extra GB up, then you were restricted in peak hours, but not in off-peak hours.
If my understanding is correct, then this is a major side-effect of the "£5 min" change: To get unrestricted off-peak behaviour, you need to spend at least £5, whif you could conceivably use absolutely nothing!
Plusnet Customer
Using FTTC since 2011. Currently on 80/20 Unlimited Fibre Extra.
Zap
Grafter

WWW you are right in that once you set it to don't charge you lose your after hours bit, but also you lose FTP in the restricted 128k traffic.
I have debated the madness of this £5 charge here http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,91780.0.html
paqize
Grafter

well, the 5 quid is like a punch to the face, certainly paying for 1GB extra would have made me lift the £0 limit i had set (who cares about an extra penny!).  well, guess i'll be moving to sky's great £10 per month package that includes unlimited bandwidth, better download and upload speed... gotta just hate the long process of moving broadband providors. gotta also love the lies that providers feed their customers, such as low speeds and tell us thats the max your line can handle, truth is thats the quality of service they provide in your area. will stay with plus net one more month to see how things go (i'll pobably stay with plus net since i hate changing providers).
Quote from: Oldjim
It has always been like that on the current products

you might actually be right on that one...
Zap
Grafter

I hear that Sky enforce their fair usage policy which was about 40gb last I looked and that their traffic shaping is not as sophisticated as PN's.  You should also check the real world performance of Sky at your exchange on sites like Kitz and SamKnows.
What is interesting is that in the thread I referred to above I suggested a new product at £14.99 (£9.99 in cheap exchanges) for 25gb to 30gb  I suspect if such a product existed you might take it?
You are right it is a slap in the face and this is what I have been trying to get PN to realise, but they are focused on problems that their own policies create rather than looking at customers as individuals and creating products that they would love to buy, if only they were available.  It is a mindset thing and it will have them chasing their tails until they change their mindset.
The other point I made was they these policies make customer leave (again you seem to suggest that is true) and that is the reason they are chasing their tail.
Sadly the ASDL market have got too used to lying, from using the word unlimited when there are many limits in place (FUP, taffic shaping etc) to the lies about speed, the average UK speed is 3gb, 8gb is a fantasy, very very few exchanges reach much above 6gb. 
I am not in the countryside I am on the outskirts of a market town, closer to town they get 0.5gb and the 24gb products provide just 3gb.  They have the competition but not the investment in infrastructure.  I am told it is a combination of the distance from the exchange and the cabling of the area.  A friend moved to Talk Talk and were told BT would charge Talk Talk £1000 to improve the cabling so they would not do it.  They suggested moving back to BT after 18 month minimum contract, demanding cabling improved (because BT does not worry about charging itself) and then after 12 months with BT they could look around again.  Meanwhile my exchange is not allowed competition provides 5gb to 6gb, it will never get high speed investment and never get competition under current rules.  The logical thing would be to take subscribers from the edge of the town and move them to my exchange, but that will never happen because there is no financial incentive for them to do so.
I don't blame the ISP's or BT, I blame OFCOM, a top heavy quango  that needs to be pruned back to the stem.  The ridiculous rules they put in that prevent investment in my exchange is just one example of their madness, it forces prices up so PN can't offer me a better price even if it wants to.  Pretty soon all the daft rules resemble a network cabinet that has no cable ties and no documentation, just a mass of wires.  Only thing to do is rip it all out and start again, that is what they need to do with all these daft regulations.  Then start with some sensible ones, no use of the word unlimited, only promise realistic speeds just to begin with.
itsme
Grafter

I wish I could get 0.5gb. In fact every user in the UK will be more than happy on 0.5gb as it's 5 times faster than FTTP  Grin
chesterfield
Grafter

A friend moved to Talk Talk and were told BT would charge Talk Talk £1000 to improve the cabling so they would not do it.

It may sound frivolous - but if I could pay £1000 to move my line from ADSLmax  to FTTC I'd  happily pay it.  In fact Id pay twice that and still happily pay the £35 a month or whatever it is for the product afterward.  If it only cost £1000 Id pay that and donate another £1k to the charity of PN's choice if I could be upgraded to FTTC.
Sadly as another customer on an exchange just outside of a market town, we arent getting any speed increases any time soon.  We arent even on a rollout plan for 21CN never mind FTTC.  Weve got ADSLmax and no llu (well talktalk but things arent that bad just yet).
Zap
Grafter

Quote from: itsme
I wish I could get 0.5gb. In fact every user in the UK will be more than happy on 0.5gb as it's 5 times faster than FTTP  Grin

oops!  500k
Mand
Grafter

Hi there,
@paqize, restrictions have always applied 24/7 once you go over your limit.
@WWWombat, before last April extra usage was priced at £2 for 2GB on Value and Extra, which is the same as most of the older products too. It doesn't matter how much bandwidth you've bought (whether £0, £5 or £20) if you've gone over the limit and haven't bought more you will be restricted.
@Zap, all of the things you've mentioned have been done before, with less or equal success to the system we have now (to qualify that statement, BBYW products had extra usage at £1 per GB, legacy products and Value/Extra prior to April '10 had £2 per 2GB and Metronet products are charged per MB in arrears). It's not that we're unwilling to listen, it's just that we are a business and we have to cater to the majority.
Zap
Grafter

Mand I am not saying set it to 1gb for £1, I am saying keep that rate but have NO MINIMUM and just bill in 1p increments.