cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to stop my contract with plusnet and mac code

brettking24
Grafter

how to stop my contract with plusnet and mac code

Just wondering if anyone in the plusnet company can tell me how long i have on my contract and also how i go about finishing with plusnet.
thanks
ps:how long does it normal take for plusnet to provide me with my mac code?
12 REPLIES 12
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: how to stop my contract with plusnet and mac code

Hi brett,
I think PJ has hit the nail on the head with the process there. As he asks is there anything we can help with or anything causing problems that is making you want to leave?
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
brettking24
Grafter

well bt are doing a package for 24.99(18.99 for first 6 months)
this is unlimited down loads and free wireless router hub and phone.
http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/consumerProducts/displayTopic.do?topicId=15764
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Unlimited eh?
Unlimited downloads
Ideal for downloading movies, video clips, music and enjoying online gaming. It's also great for households that have more than one computer on your broadband connection. Fair usage policy applies.

Have you seen the new products we offer? You can also get a wireless router depending on which one you choose, all you pay is the p&p.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
zubel
Community Veteran

Quote from: brettking24
this is unlimited

Well, I had to dig around a helluva lot on the BT site to find it, but:
http://www.btyahoo.com/broadbandusage_holding
A minority of users (around 2%) far exceed all others in terms of bandwidth demand, some using 600 GB per month. We have taken the decision to limit bandwidth available to these users at peak times.

So, 2% of their user base (not 2% of the people on "unlimited" as I read it) have their bandwidth limited.
So, they can download as much as they like on their spangly up-to-8mb line, which is probably restricted to 128k.
Unlimited != Unlimited at *any* ISP.
B.
MikeWhitehead
Grafter

Just to add to Barrys post, another quote from the FUP:
BT will monitor network performance and may restrict the amount of bandwidth available to very heavy users during peak time to ensure that the majority of the customer base has a good customer experience. There will be no restriction imposed outside of these peak times.
brettking24
Grafter

still its better than the 15gb a month plusnet give me and for just £3 extra a month,im currently paying 22
Del
Grafter

Sorry to intrude on this thread but I recently asked for my MAC Key which has been generated but have not yet decided to sign-up to another provider so I would like to know what happens if I do nothing as there is some outstanding fee due (Not a big one).
Cheers.
Del
MikeWhitehead
Grafter

If I am correct in what you are asking, the MAC simply expires and your service and payments resume as normal.
LiamM
Grafter

Yep.
Loombucket
Grafter

As I understand it, the MAC key will simply expire if not used within 30 days, therefore doing nothing will leave things just as they are.
As regards moving to BT, in my experience (and that of many of my customers) I would strongly advise against it.  Their support is amongst the worst I've ever encountered (outsourced poorly trained script-bound staff in India with an absolutely dreadful record of service) and when you look closely at the costings they are more expensive than Plusnet.
pepsi_max2k
Grafter

another tip when moving; try to find out how long the process of signing up with another isp takes, from original sign up online or by phone to actually having a connection (including the time it takes them to post your modem), so then you'll know how long before the end of your PN cancellation period to leave before signing up with the new ISP.
You should be able to find out by asking around on forums (thinkbroadband or official / unofficial isp specific forums).
Eg. If the ISP takes 8 to 10 days from signup to modem arriving and account being active, then request mac from PN on or day before PN billing date, then 20 to 22 days later signup to the new ISP. Unless something goes wrong you should be online with new ISP just as PN stop your old account.
Rikaitch
Grafter

How about from the other side of the fence? I just helped a customer who was on BT migrate to Plus Net. She was fed up of having problems sending email. A 2 hour call to India, and she was told she didn't have that option (!). Another 2 hour call by me to India told me she didn't even have broadband. A third call to India and they said they'd fix it for an extra £3 a month. The fourth call was for the mac code, not surprisingly.
I'd really think about moving. I see different providers each day, and whilst PN are far from perfect, they are the lesser evil.