cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how many HEC,SF ect errors are o.k on a fast path line?

scootie
Grafter

how many HEC,SF ect errors are o.k on a fast path line?

Just wondering what is the average/acceptable amount of errors on a fast path line.
i did a resync at 1pm today. so router stats is showing errors for the past 6 hours. ive only bein doing emails and looking over the plusnet forums so no heavy data has bein transferd in this time period.
Any input about this would be great. the little i know is that hec stands for header check sum
7 REPLIES 7
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Re: how many HEC,SF ect errors are o.k on a fast path line?

By comparison, I've clocked up about 294 in just over 7 hours. If you're after a bit more info on line errors then you could do worse than to read this.
If you're not noticing any obvious issues with your performance then I wouldn't be too concerned unless these errors reach the 1000's in just a few hours.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

scootie
Grafter

o.k had a read of the website as all ways kiltz is the place to go for info like this. dont know why i didnt check there 1st as all googles searchs where bring back was people like my self asking the same question on forums.
Any way this capture shows the errors for the past 24 hours and going on what the kiltz site says this is pretty high but then again the site seems to surrgest that the figures for high errors is more geared towards interleved. so im still at a lose if these errors are still to high for fast path. i have noticed that web pages take a wee bit longer to load but not that much that it annoys me and gaming on the xbox seems o,k as my friend says he only see's me jump on race driver grid every now then say 1 or 2 times over a few races.
Any advice on what gaming on the xbox is like on a interleved path. would having error correction make any diffrence to gaming because in my thinking the dslam asking for a packet of gaming traffic again would be useless as by the time its recvied the new packet it would be useless.
p.s the most traffic over the 24 hour period is xbox gaming of about 3-4 hours
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

By comparison, I've now got about 600 HEC error over a 17 hour period. Yours do seem a little high in your latest screenshot but like I said, I wouldn't be overly concerned if there's no significant deterioration to your performance.
We could always try and put interleaving on for you so you can give it a go. It only takes a day for us to remove it if needs be?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

puddy
Grafter

would a BT i Plate help?
Below are a 23 day list of errors with one I fitted at home
Puddy
Uptime: 23 days, 23:23:50
Modulation: G.992.1 Annex A
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 448 / 8,128
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [GB/GB]: 
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 11.5 / 9.5
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 4.0 / 3.0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 19.0 / 14.5
Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / ALCB
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 1 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 62 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 6 / 45
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 4 / 28
scootie
Grafter

i've got to pick a new face plate up any way as my old face plate was faulty and was losing over a 1mb sync speed. curently have my filter pluged straight into the test socket till i get one.
my lines a 53db atten one with about 3500kbps -4000kbps max sync so it dosent surrpise me that my error count would be high.
think i might raise a ticket and see what having interleaving on is like with xbox gaming as a few of my friends are with bt and dont even know what fast path is and there connection seems fine with the increase in ping times.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Don't know if this is of any help - this from a BT Broadband engineer -
For a 5 min period - errored seconds <15 , crc & hec errors <60-100 are ok. Interleaved service crc & hec errors up to 1000 are ok, fec & rs errors up to 11000- 14500 are ok.
scootie
Grafter

well ive lowered my sync to give me ip profile 2500kbps down from 3500-3000 and dmt is reporting total hec errors of 271 down 2 up in about a 20 hour period.
just looks like i will have to put up with slower downloads. but better gaming
cheers for your replys guys.