cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how do i know if my router is "broadcasting on a busy channel" ?

suecliff
Dabbler

how do i know if my router is "broadcasting on a busy channel" ?

in your Help & Support page on how to improve your wireless signal it says:-
"If you can see that your router is broadcasting on a busy channel then it might be worth changing to a less common one. Generally you'll find the best performance on channels 1, 6, and 11" 
but how can i find out if my router is broadcasting on a busy channel?Huh
my account is currently being monitored by Katrina (most helpfully) after an engineers visit for connection problems but i have started to have problems with my wi fi dropping for no obvious reason so she sent me the link so i could check it out, i thought i'd try & sort it over the weekend...  sadly i just don't know how to do this.
just occured to me, interleaving has been switched on to try & stabilise my connection ~ would that affect my wireless?  i wouldn't have thought so....  but it is coincidental
7 REPLIES 7
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Re: how do i know if my router is "broadcasting on a busy channel" ?

The best thing to do is simply try channels 1, 6 and 11, and see which works best.
Even if you did get some software or an app which shows you what channels your neighbours' wireless networks are on, that can't really show how busy each channel is, because they can't tell how busy each neighbouring network is.
Interleaving on your ADSL would have no effect on the wireless.
suecliff
Dabbler

thanks for your reply, nice to know i wasn't being dim  Shocked
maybe plusnet should consider re-wording their advice ~  confusing to be told "If you can see that your router is broadcasting on a busy channel then it might be worth changing to a less common one" when i can't actually do that!....
Kremmen
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

Android 'WiFi Analyser ' will show all the diagnostics re modem power, channels and house hot and cold spots.
There will be others for iphone.
I used to use InSSIDer bht that's not free anymore.
Let's be careful out there !
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

@suecliff
What was the link you were sent? Are you using the TG582n?
if you want to use inSSIDer you can download version 3.1.2.1, the last free version, from techspot.
suecliff
Dabbler

thanks for the replies, much appreciated, I am new to wireless only had my netbook since new year, no problems till my broadband issues began.
Kremman, I do not have an android device, poor or non existent mobile signal in my flat so no mobile...
Anotherone, link was "How to improve my wireless signal" in plusnet help pages, on re-reading I see the statement about busy channels refers to when using  InSSIDer ~ doh!
yes i'm using TG582n, thanks for the link, i'll check it out.
I am sat next to my router now after losing signal just 4 metres away through an open door!  going to try gradually moving further away, see what happens... 
I just don't understand how it can work perfectly well for 5 months & then become a problem or why I can have a perfectly good signal which suddenly drops when nothing electrical or electronic within the flat has changed ~ not even the kettle going on....
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

I just don't understand how it can work perfectly well for 5 months & then become a problem or why I can have a perfectly good signal which suddenly drops when nothing electrical or electronic within the flat has changed ~ not even the kettle going on....

It doesn't need to be directly in your property unfortunately, other wireless networks in the area could be causing conflicts. InSSIDer should give you an idea of the most used channels.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
suecliff
Dabbler

oh, right, didn't know that, i'll have a go downloading InSSIDer when I've more time. thanks Chris
a load have scaffolding has just gone up next door....???