cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

house move, now super slow, how long to come to up to speed

mart321

house move, now super slow, how long to come to up to speed

ive just moved home and gone from a rolling contract on the essentials package to an unlimited broadband package, non fibre. the gentleman on the phone tested the line in the new property and said i would be able to achieve speeds twice as fast as the old property.  the broadband completed on wednesday and it is now BH monday 5 days later and after doing speed checks every day my download speed has not changed from 0.28mb.  i have tried turning my modem on and off every morning to no avail. i was told my service wouldnt come up to full speed for a week or so but i dont remember it just staying at such a low speed before when i joined plusnet
11 REPLIES 11
JohnOF

Re: house move, now super slow, how long to come to up to speed

It might be worth checking out the standard of wiring within the new house.  My old, self-installed, internal wiring was causing my broadband speed problems.  Had to change some wiring to solid core Cat5 standard telephone wire (BT item 058514).  Old multi cored/braided wire will not carry high speed.  Also, I electronically had the master socket moved to the router's connection point so as to remove any possibility of electrical glitches with extensions.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Please post the stats from your router http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,96155.0.html
mart321

heres the stats

DSL Connection
Link Information

Uptime: 0 days, 0:16:27
DSL Type: G.992.5 annex A
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 443 / 20,447
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/kB]: 0.00 / 1.00
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 10.0 / 0.0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 10.0 / 20.0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 21.0 / 3.5
Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / IFTN
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 1
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 1
mart321

also tried plugging into the test socket which didnt improve things
Oldjim
Resting Legend

It wouldn't - those speeds are excellent
Other than asking for the upload to be uncapped which will give you over 1000kbps which is not relevant there are only two things I can think of assuming that you are checking the speed on a wired connection and these are the BT IP profile which you get from the BT Speedtest Further Diagnostics - but that is very unlikely to be the problem and the Plusnet profile https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed which may just be the cause but having it that low is most unusual
mart321

i cant find an ethernet cable so everything has been done wireless. i should also add when i moved i changed my payment method and my final payment was blocked due to waiting for direct debit transfer. i realised this when i logged on two days ago and i payed up, after this it said that all restrictions had been removed from my account. great i though! that must have been the problem, but no, nothing has changed , still stuck at 0.28mb d/l
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

I suggest giving the CSC a call and ask them to verify that any restrictions on your account have been lifted. Also get them to check that your Current line speed in the Member Centre is set correctly. It should be 18.0Mbps for your sync speed. That link is the one that Oldjim suggested you to check.
David
mart321

i will phone them tomorrow. if the restrictions have to be lifted manually then due to it being bank holiday weekend there may have been no one to do it?????i see my line estimate speed is 13mb where do it say 17mb?
Oldjim
Resting Legend

spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

There is no need to wait until tomorrow before calling in, if the Current line speed is incorrect (or restrictions remain on your line) the CSC should be able to sort it out.
David
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Hi mart321,
I can see your speed profile has been changed, have you seen an improvement?