cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

holidays

danny

holidays

I'm sure this has been asked before , so apologies if so, If i go on holiday for 2 weeks should i leave my router on or turn it off? I'm not keen on leaving things switched on really but Chris had a bit of bother getting it to work in the first place so i am not sure either way!
8 REPLIES 8
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Re: holidays

it's up to you really Smiley I leave mine all on, others switch it off.
I suspect any issues that Chris resolved should remain resolved now.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

A router is designed to be safely left on 24/7, the electricity cost of leaving it on (unused) for 2 weeks will likely be less than 40p.  There is a (minimal) fire risk leaving any appliance on unattended but the risk is no more than leaving it on every night while you sleep (and the consequences potentially not so bad).
Having said that, I switch mine off if away for a couple of weeks (unless I forget, in which case I just don't worry).
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
darklight
Grafter

I'm away in acouple of weeks, for a week, i'm leaving mine on i think and just turn off the wifi side of the router, so at least the wifi will be safe from hackers.
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Quote from: darklight
... turn off the wifi side of the router...

Now that's very sensible.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Turning it off for a single long period shouldn't have any negative effects, it's turning it off and back on again multiple times over a short period that would be more likely to cause issues.
Adam
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
danny

Thanks everyone for the opinions, I think i will knock it off (if i remember!) and fingers crossed it will fire up ok on my return, but if its only a weekend i'll knock the wifi bit off as suggested, thanks again guys.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

No probs and I wouldn't worry about it, enjoy your hols Smiley
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Anonymous
Not applicable

If switching your modem off for a week knocks your speed down to less than a quarter of normal (as ALWAYS happens to me !  >:(),
it only takes about a week to ten days to recover to full sync speed  Roll_eyes
Now I just leave my modem switch on, and it isn't a problem.  Crazy
If my modem is off for less than three or four days, there is not a problem. 
But switching off for a week or two absolutely kills my ADSL line stats.