cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

help getting usb hard drive to work plugged in to router

janiehee

help getting usb hard drive to work plugged in to router

Hello.
I've got a Technicolor 582n router with a usb port. I've plugged in a WD Passport drive and can't seem to see the files on my Mac. It's formatted as FAT32.
The router settings say that they can see the connected disk. However, it also says the content of the USB storage device cannot be profiled. I was wondering why I can't see this? If I click on Technicolour under my shared files it just says connection failed.
Any ideas? Cheers.
3 REPLIES 3
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 18

Re: help getting usb hard drive to work plugged in to router

Hi,
Thanks for posting.
Though I know it's possible, I have looked around for the answers for you but I haven't managed to find anything concrete. Have you tried it with any other drives at all?
Tony
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
janiehee

Thanks, I have tried some little usb stick drives as well. Also formatted fat32. They're having the same problem. My googling seems to find that it's to do with the Mavericks OS. I think the apple systems are not happy with the type of security on that router.
I'm thinking of getting a new router as I  really need a networked hard drive. One thread I read recommended this one - Asus RT-AC66U. Can you tell me if it is suitable? (we have the fibre connection)
Thanks
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 18

Hi,
I don't see any reason that this wouldn't work. The only thing you need to know is that our support staff wouldn't be able to give in-depth support on it should you need to call in.
It has good reviews here as well  http://www.trustedreviews.com/asus-rt-ac66u802-11ac-router-review .
Tony
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team