cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

help connecting switch to router

rayw

help connecting switch to router

I have a 24-port gigabit switch on 10.90.90.90 and my plusnet router on default 192.168.1.254 ip addresses. I want to be able to use the computers hard wired to the switch to be able to connect to the router but am getting hung up on what settings are required.  Most searches reveal turning DHCP off on the router which makes sense, but tried this to no avail.
When I connect the router to the switch, should the router just become another IP address on the switch i.e. 10.90.90.x which should then allow the rest of the devices on the switch to see the router as it is just another device.  Would really appreciate some guidance before trying the following (to see if I am on the right track) :-
Steps I am going to consider:-
1. Reconfigure Plusnet router to disable DHCP and set IP address to 10.90.90.88 (can I change the IP of the router???)
2. plug router into switch via ethernet.
3. turn wireless connection off on computer.
4. plug computer into switch
5. check for internet connectivity
Should this give me connectivity???  Wink
Any help recieved - please don't be to cruel if I am a million miles of the mark
Ray
5 REPLIES 5
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Re: help connecting switch to router

I'm not quite sure I understand exactly what you are trying to do.
Let me summarise
You currently have a number of PC's connected to the gigabit switch, with just local communication between the PC's. The switch hands out DHCP addresses
to the PC's ( or are they static IP's ). You have a PlusNet Internet connection via a standard TG582N router and you now want to connect that to the switch to enable internet access from all the PC's.
Am I correct  ? or am I barking up the wrong tree completely ?
If not , maybe you could explain the situation a bit more.
What  make/model is the switch ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Grff
Grafter

An IP address on a switch is only typically needed for management of the switch, or when doing clever things with it.  Typically, you should be able to just plug a switch into the router, your devices into the switch, and it will work.
By default, your switch will more than likely pass traffic between all the ports on it when needed, so your router will still be able to issue IP addresses via DHCP to the devices plugged into the switch.
Your steps should work, but I don't get step 1;
1. Reconfigure Plusnet router to disable DHCP and set IP address to 10.90.90.88 (can I change the IP of the router???)
Why do this? Devices will still need want an IP address from the router.
Just plug everything in, swithc the wireless off on PC/laptop, then plug it into the switch.
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

More details needed.
Do you have all the pc's on an internal dhcp server, or are they all static ips.
Does the switch/pc need to be on the 10. range or can they move to the 192. range?
if 2. then you need do nothing to the router, just renew the ip addresses on the pc's from the router.
rayw

Thanks everyone - it was me making my life more complicated than necessary!!!
Stripped out all of the config changes I had made so router basic and switch as it was out of the box.
Pulled all of the static IPs of the computer network cards and set them to obtain automatically and was in business straight away - all devices seeing each other etc. 
Regards to all
RayW
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

You might want to add {SOLVED} to the title of the first post.