cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

help! BT engineer booked to do wrong thing?

jheenan
Grafter

help! BT engineer booked to do wrong thing?

Hi all,
plus.net told me "it is likely that there is a fault with the line splitter card at the exchange" but subsequently I seem to have an engineer booked to "Please check best Eside and Dside pairs; replace NTE; fit SSFP/RF3; carry out lift & shift if required".
I'm guessing the engineer isn't going to be ready to deal with a line card issue if that's not what he's been booked for? I've updated the ticket, but I suspect that won't get looked at before the engineer arrives on Tuesday morning, any chance someone at plus could give it a nudge please?
(ticket number 37408778)
Thanks
Joseph
36 REPLIES 36
pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 20

Re: help! BT engineer booked to do wrong thing?

I think a lift and shift will change the line card that you are connected to, so that should work for you.
Phil

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi JosephH,
Phil is correct, if there is a line card issue the lift and shift would remedy that. The instructions for the engineer are the usual ones for that particular fault.
Jojo Smiley
jheenan
Grafter

Okay, great, thanks Jojo and Phil!
jheenan
Grafter

Well, the engineer came out, did 2 lift and shifts, the problem continued so he gave up and left, though (according to plus) he didn't change the line splitter card. Amazingly the engineer who came out didn't even have any test kit for a 21CN connection - his modem was completely unable to keep sync on the line, and I think he spent several hours chasing that until someone told him the "Voyager" kit he had apparently doesn't work on 21CN.
So I now have a third BT ccSFI engineer appointment booked (and another day off work) to hopefully change line splitter card...
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi JosephH,
I'm speechless about that! I only hope that the next visit is the last.
Jojo Smiley
jheenan
Grafter

Thanks Jojo - me too  Wink Oddly the first engineer also couldn't hold sync (even when at the exchange) so I guess his kit was not 21CN compatible either. It seems very odd. (This is up in Glasgow, maybe the English ones are better equipped!)
fourfourdevon
Grafter

My experience of BT engineers is that the closer to London you find the more clueless they are.
Having formerly been drinking buddies with a group of BT engineers from Yorkshire who had shifted to London for various reasons, what they basically told me was that London engineers tended to be trained for one job and job only, and literally had no clue about anything else, whereas outside of London an engineer was expected to be able to work on whatever the ticket in front of him required.
jheenan
Grafter

BT engineer didn't even show up this time, and no contact from anyone, DSL still loses sync when the phone rings.  Angry
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi JosephH,
Just give it a while, they can be running late.
Jojo Smiley
jheenan
Grafter

I see, thanks Jojo - I'll stay at home for the rest day then. Though I'm somewhat sceptical Smiley
jheenan
Grafter

I'm increasingly get the feeling no one is going to be turning up today  Sad
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi JosephH,
can't believe no-one turned up. I'll get one of the faults guys on it in the morning for you.
Jojo Smiley
jheenan
Grafter

Thanks Jojo! I seem to be having unusually bad luck with BT engineers  Sad
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi JosephH,
I've one of the faults guys looking into this for you. They should call you shortly.
Jojo Smiley