cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

google related

FIXED
DCR

google related

My sister, can't connect to anything google, gmail, google maps, etc at her house, (laptop windows 10).  Everything else works.  Took my laptop (windows7) logged into her router and couldn't get it on mine either. Talked for 30mins or so with Plusnet helpline, did several alterations from command prompt (under proper Plusnet guidance) and got it working eventually by ditching Edge and using Firefox. Through her router, my laptop would only connect to Gmail via firefox as well.

Back at home and using my router and laptop, everything works as it should.

The question is: my sister has been using Plusnet for years now and we can't understand why she can't connect to her gmail account? Surely it can't be a windows 10 problem, can it?

Best wishes

7 REPLIES 7
SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

Re: google related

@DCR

You proved it wasn't Windows 10 related as you used Windows 7 and it still wouldn't work.

No idea what is causing it but the common thing is her Plusnet connection (her router and Plusnet servers).

Are you a Plusnet customer too?

No issue here for me on Windows 10 and Edge, I can see google maps without any issues.

Windows 10 Home OS version 1607 build 14393.576

Edge 38.14393.0.0   EdgeHTML 14.14393

Edit:to add version numbers

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
Anonymous
Not applicable

@DCR, I have just logged into gmail from a Windows 10 machine using Edge without issue, so as both @SpendLessTime and I are both using Plusnet does that rule them out of the equation? FWIW My machine reports:

Microsoft Edge 38.14393.0.0
Microsoft EdgeHTML 14.14393

With an OS of :

Edition     Windows 10 Pro N
Version     1607
OS Build    14393.447

Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

Change your sister's DNS setting on router ideally, or individual devices if you can't, to Google's?
Jonpe
Hero
Fixes: 9

Fix

Last week (can't remember what day) I found that Google was unusably slow on W7 using the latest versions of Firefox and IE11; I don't think Gmail was affected.  I was a bit puzzled since I hadn't installed any updates that might have caused a problem, but after a reboot it was back to normal, and I've had no problems since.  Could it be a problem with Google rather than PN, OS, or browser?

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

Key question here is which router has she got?  There are oddball issues with the TG582n with Win10 related to spoofed IP addresses.  I have a long thread on it elsewhere.  If she has got that router then this possibility needs to be considered ... In which case I'll find the link.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

DCR

Thanks for your suggestions..She has the TG582n.  Talked to her today and everything works as before.  The problem wouls seem to have resolved itself.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

If it is the problem I am thinking of, it might well return - it does come and go!

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.