cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

glad nothing else gets sold like broadband

MrZeno
Grafter

glad nothing else gets sold like broadband

I'm on a package of 'up to' 20mb... my speed 468kb so I'm getting less than 2.5% of what the package is capable of delivering.
I know all the stuff about distance from the exchange (2 1/2 miles) and line competition etc. but you've got to admit it is poor.
BT says the best I can get is about 1mb!! unless I go with the BT Total where I might be able to get 'up to' 2mb.
We've had the engineer out before and he even gave us a new cable to the pole in an effort to help.
Yes, I know there isn't much Plusnet can do, but you're my provider so I complain to you.
Its just a good job Tesco et al don't sell milk this way, you might be able to get up to 4ltrs and so we're going to
charge you for 4ltrs even though, because of your distance from our store and the quality of the road, you'll only likely get 200ml.
I'm seriously considering taking the hit to my wallet by cancelling and trying cable.
26 REPLIES 26
gwillym
Grafter

Re: glad nothing else gets sold like broadband

Maybe the fees that are charged are also 'up to £xx'.
then it might be 'up to ' us to pay for what we actually get!?? Grin
rena
Grafter

Agree guys!  Grin
Unfortunately I can't get cable in my street.  Do you know if  LLU would be any better that this?  If so, do you know any LLU providers (except talktalk - had too many problems with them at my old address!).
machare
Rising Star

Presumably you were given an estimated speed when you applied for the connection. Did you just ignore this?
Up to means exactly what it says.  The government is considering making ISPs advertise average speeds. Likely that would be even more confusing in your (and my) case as you might well think that you might get the average speed. Whereas up to at least imples that you prossibly won't get the maximum and you need to establish waht the shortfall will be.
As for Tesco, they would make you pay for two when you really only wanted one.
I wantet to buy a nailbrush when I was on holiday.  Tesco were selling them 3 for the price of 2.  Clearly if I just bought one I was being conned, so I took my shopping elsewhere. 
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

@MrZeno Have you had a look here http://www.samknows.com/broadband/search.php for suppliers on your exchange?
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
MrZeno
Grafter

@machare
I can't remember if/what any information I got on applying for broadband, I've had it for several years.
I've been trying to think of other things that are sold as 'up to' and other than compensation claims I can't think of anything else.
@Strat
I've never understood why a LLU provider would be any better, yes it's different equipment in the exchange but the exchange is still in the
same place and the cables to my home are the same.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi MrZeno,
Although you're on an up to 20Mbps package the exchange technology you are on is 20CN which is up to 8Mbps. As you are not near your exchange you will get less than this. Are you plugged into the test socket at the moment? I've just ran a line test and would be interested to see the results from the test socket.
Jojo Smiley
machare
Rising Star

Quote from: MrZeno
@machare
I can't remember if/what any information I got on applying for broadband, I've had it for several years.
I've been trying to think of other things that are sold as 'up to' and other than compensation claims I can't think of anything else.

Well if you paid to park your car you could perhaps stay for 'up to' 1 hour, and you would not get a discount for leaving early.
In the case of broadband it is an unfortunate feature of the technology that it does not like long lines and what you get depends on your particular phone line.   
MrZeno
Grafter

Quote from: Joanne
Hi MrZeno,
Although you're on an up to 20Mbps package the exchange technology you are on is 20CN which is up to 8Mbps. As you are not near your exchange you will get less than this. Are you plugged into the test socket at the moment? I've just ran a line test and would be interested to see the results from the test socket.
Jojo Smiley

Hello Jojo,
I've moved the computer so I can connect directly into the main socket (BT Engineer fitted), and I've tested the connection on several checkers and the speed is the same.
I can't use wireless as my computer isn't wireless enabled.  I can't keep the computer in the living room for long as it gets in the way.
Thanks
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

BT says the best I can get is about 1mb!! unless I go with the BT Total where I might be able to get 'up to' 2mb.

If it helps, I get faster than that on my 3G dongle from 3. You might want to look into it.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
machare
Rising Star

I've moved the computer so I can connect directly into the main socket (BT Engineer fitted), and I've tested the connection on several checkers and the speed is the same.
I can't use wireless as my computer isn't wireless enabled.  I can't keep the computer in the living room for long as it gets in the way.

Do you have extension wiring? and if so are you using a filtered faceplate?
The TG585v7 routers are supposed to be good on high loss (long) lines.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi MrZeno,
Even if you plug your filter directly into the test socket you will not see any increase in speed. What you may see though is an increase in your connection rate (sync). If that did improve your sync then once the DLM recognised that your speed would then increase.
Jojo Smiley
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I can't keep the computer in the living room for long as it gets in the way.

Is there no way you can leave the router in the main socket and run an ethernet cable to where your computer normally is? This would give you a far better performance than using an extension cable. Also, your current SNR is 14dB so this will be keeping your sync down. If you set it up like I suggest I can have the SNR reset to 6dB which should increase your sync rate.
Jojo Smiley
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Just to add to my earlier comment, I've ammended my signature to show todays speed test from my dongle. As you can see its faster than the 1Mb you mentioned earlier.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
MrZeno
Grafter

Quote from: Joanne
Hi MrZeno,
Even if you plug your filter directly into the test socket you will not see any increase in speed. What you may see though is an increase in your connection rate (sync). If that did improve your sync then once the DLM recognised that your speed would then increase.
Jojo Smiley

I had it connected into the main socket until around eleven last night and the speed hadn't changed at all.  I've tried the BT Speedtester but it just tells me to contact my provider, so I can't get any information from that source.