cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

gateway mystery

fefil
Dabbler

gateway mystery

I wonder if anyone else has  the same problem I do with the Technicolor gateway nightmare. Several times a day I have to enter user name and password only to receive the message there is no broadband to be found, when the connection is okay, hardly ever drops. This is driving me insane, as I have to stop the work I'm doing to switch on and off the computer 
I don't understand much about these issues but I guess it must the router, so would buying a new router fix this problem? And if so, can anyone recommend a router that is easy  to install, plug n play type in Apple style☺
Any advice, very welcome. Thanks.
7 REPLIES 7
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: gateway mystery

To be clear
You are saying that the connection / PPP session on the router rarely drops but your computer loses the connection to it as rebooting the computer fixes it
Is the connection wired or wireless and which Mac do you have
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

It sounds like the TG582n web browsing interception feature malfunctioning again. It's only supposed to redirect you to the router web page when your Internet connection is down. Similar threads:
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,116791.0.html
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,116173.0.html
fefil
Dabbler

@oldjim The connection has not been down, so I can't understand why this happens so often. I have a 2009 Macbook and and an iPad 3. The problem happens to both and I have to switch on and off both of them.  I've been thinking about leaving Plusnet if getting a new router won't stop the problem.
Even if the connection was down, why the hell would I need to enter a password and user name over and over again, I ask myself. This never happened to  me with other providers I had in the past.
@ejs  Thanks for links, I had a look but the mystery remains Undecided
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

It might be possible to disable Web Browsing Interception somewhere in the router setup webpages.
fefil
Dabbler

@ejs Unfortunately that would be more than my knowledge of routers can handle!
npr
Pro
Fixes: 9

Can be in disabled in the routers GUI here:
Home > Technicolor Gateway > Configuration > Configure
Web Browsing Interception: Options Disabled, Enabled or Automatic
I remember a problem with this intercept some year ago on the TG585v7 but not heard of a problem with recent firmware. Having said that it's something I always disable just in case Wink
fefil
Dabbler

@npr I've done what your said, so its the disabled not. It was easy, thank you Smiley