cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

gamer worried about adsl2

scootie
Grafter

gamer worried about adsl2

i was very for going on the trail from day but have bein following the adsl2 trails and iam very conserned about the perfomance of adsl2.
1. is the very high error count alot are getting on adsl2
2. this one didnt surrpise. hardly any increase in down speed in my 51db atten line cattergory but i was keen due to increase in upload sync but reading the speed theard most in my line length dont even get an upload sync above or near my stable never change 832kbps max prem current sync.
3. even people syncing 13000kbps+ are geting put on interleaving automaticaly so i would think fastpath on my line with adsl2 would be a no no.
with all these problems iam thinking my stable standard adsl with max prem and fastpath is abetter option than adsl2 with a slim chance of 500kbps extra down and probally a 50/50 chance of geting a upload sync above 832kbp. and interleved path
so whats the options once WBC adsl2 is the norm. what other products are going to be on offer as to be honest my standard adsl line setup as it is looks tip top and your going to have to cut my phone pole down with a axe to get me to go on adsl2 Crazy
edit= reading tech guys post you offer to switch him to adsl if his extrmely long line dosent like adsl2.
on this wbc standard adsl product can you still have max prem on it and not be stuck at normal upload sync?
16 REPLIES 16
James
Grafter

Re: gamer worried about adsl2

Hi Asbo Dog,
Thanks for your time - I'm sorry that I didn't actually know what your name is!  Like I mentioned, we love reading your posts and there was no sarcasm in that at all Smiley
As I mentioned, you'd be welcome to try out the new service once your exchange has been enabled, and we'll do everything we can to make it as good as possible, and it the worst came to the worst we can look at moving you back.
scootie
Grafter

thanks for the call jameseh top notch CS as allways from PN i hope they pay you well  for keeping so many customers happy.
yes as talked about i would be happy to give adsl2 a trail hopefully end of march but i dont hold much hope on BT sticking to that esp with all the snow delying things of late. But like said my concern was what products where going to be avalable once the wbc adsl2 was the norm as i didnt want BTw forcing resellers to make end users stuck on the end of long damp strings stick with adsl2 enduring high error counts,resyncs resulting in  lower downstream sync than adsl and lower upload sync than i get now on max prem and of cause bag fulls of lag.
So yes would be happy to trail adsl2 if when i get enabled to help PN get some extra feed back from a gamers point of view on adsl2 and i would also ask other gamers on enabled or soon to be enabled exchanges to have a think about trailing the adsl2 safe in the knowledge PN will get you back on adsl and a stable line the same as you have now if adsl2 turns out to be pants on your line and no amount tweaking gets thinks right.
As for not knowing my name to be honest i was abit mythed when i was told PN was wanting to speak to asbo dog and on hearing asbo my first instink was to run up staris pack a bag find me passport and fly to the costa del sol ;D. On top of that i was abit stresed as i had a samsung repair man in my living room with my 32" LCD tv in bits on the floor with one of my dogs loose causing mayhem.
As i perdicted before hand i got the old teeth drying from the repair man followed by it needs a new panel and we havent got one in stock will have to phone up and get one ordered in eta 3 days which at this time of the week means minum of some time nxt week for repair
The police seems to think its asbo but in reality iam saint luke Smiley
thanks again for the call for in reality was such a small concern that other isp's would of pressed the delete button on.
edit= i was one of the first to post that i wanted to trail adsl2 when the theard first opend on the forum and sure that any one that said they wanted to but exchanges was not enbaled yet had there names taken down. But then later on the trail sign up was moved to the proper trail sign up area of the PN website. does this mean i have to put in request there to get back on the queue for adsl2 trail as i did not do this once seeing the feed back from all ready enabled customers
James
Grafter

Hiya,
Dave will have a list of customers who have requested to be on the trial, before we opened it up to the ticket path, so you'll be fine.
I'll place your order myself if I have to Wink
[me=Jameseh]makes mental note that he should probably find out how to place orders.[/me]
jojo
Grafter

Eeeek!! Im sitting here debating wether to hit the submit button... My connection's not to great as it is, and im not sure if there can be a difference made. But i deff. dont need to get less of a one, as I too do online gaming. Ive tried reading what other people are saying but all Gobbledygook to me. I was told (not from PN) I would get a good connection being a mile away from the exchange, But not so  Cry . But then I think I was spoilt with cable. But am thankful I am still able to game via PN... Will I benefit, will I finally be able to see the pictures actually load on youtube videos (meaning the home page bit) will dl'ing maps be quicker instead of waiting hours for them...  ( runs round room banging her head on the wall  Crazy)  So should I or Shouldnt I  Huh  If it gives me a speed where i can be speaking on xfire and watch a video with out it cutting out on xfire...  Then yeah would be up for it, But knowing my luck my phone line wont handle it  Undecided  So i guess the long and shortfull of it is, should i press submit and if I dont like it how long will it take to revert...
A confused noob  Cheesy
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

Hey JoJo.  I've just looked at your account and I think you should be getting a better speed than that!  I've noticed that you've raised a couple of fault tickets, but they've been closed early.
Why don't you give our guys call and have them talk through the issue?  Either that or hassle Jameseh to take a look Smiley
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
jojo
Grafter

Thanks for reply. And whats the best way too Hassle Jameseh  Smiley Phones scare me  Tongue
Euge
Grafter

Um call the phone a telling bone like cat weazle, does that make it less scary? Undecided
Best bet is to start a topic suggesting that Xbox sucks and put your message in there he is bound to read it, along with asbo and a few others. But seriously James is always easily found in the forums, send him a message.
scootie
Grafter

starting theard in broadband speed section would be a gd start the bright sparks love solving speed problems.

dont be scared by jameseh you only have to look at his xbox games list to know he's a hameless kid. 
he did spin a family member out when he rang me asking for asbo dog Grin
jameseh i surrgest you ring M$ up to ask them to remove simpsons from your played games list
@jameseh is there an upto date list of 21cn exchanges you can access. usertools was last updated on 9th so was just wondering if its possable to drop you a pm in a week or so to see if BTw have fhinshed scratching there heads at my exchange.
date on usertools 1 - 31 march
James
Grafter

Kid? KID?!  Angry
The Usertools information is up to date - BT updated their list on Thursday last week.
@Jojo
Unfortunately, your speeds aren't great because you're a really long way away from the exchange.  You might be able to make a slight improvement by making sure that your router is connected to your master socket and to try using different filters, and making sure all of your telephony devices (and Sky box if you have one) is plugged into a filter before it connects to the telephone socket.
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

Samknows thinks you are 2.39km away from the exchange, which should mean better speeds, unless your line goes all around the houses to get to you.
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
Euge
Grafter

Samknows thinks I'm about 1km from mine but in reality it's closer to 4 or 5km. Attenuation is what to look at really since mine is up at 47dB
jojo
Grafter

@ Jameseh.. I have an iplate no skybox.. So does that mean that for the 21CN trial I wouldnt benefit from it, as my phone line hates me Sad well it dont hate me that bad I can still play PC games and my ping on doom3 is around 80/150 (on a new york server).. so does that mean when i get a broadband product I might as well get the cheapest because I see you have plusnet value and I'm on PlusNet Broadband Your Way Option 2 (Monthly Contract) Huh Sorry for all the questions but dont want to be paying for something that my phone  line cant handle, and would going to value effect my gaming .. ?
Thanks for your help  Grin
@ Kelly I spose there isnt a way to know exactly what path they take,  and the extra bit of phone line I have Crazy
James
Grafter

Hi Jojo,
Realistically, the only thing you would gain from ADSL2+ would be an improved upload speed.
Your speed might increase a little, but it wouldn't be much.
Euge
Grafter

Does a better upload speed improve gaming? Obviously you need a reasonable upload speed to communicate with the server but is the speed we already achieve good enough anyway?