cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

fttc partial cabinet?

teilo

fttc partial cabinet?

Hi all,
I'm connected to a fttc cabinet, yet I am not able to get fttc.
The normal reason would be I'm too far from the cabinet, yet I am less than 400m from the cabinet.
From my queries I have been told only one third of the cabinet has been upgraded, but what I don't understand if that is the case is why my line can't be re patched to move onto the enabled block. 
5 REPLIES 5
Routefinder
Grafter

Re: fttc partial cabinet?

I wonder if there is lack of capacity i.e. all available FTTC connections in the "partial upgraded cabinet" are taken???
tijara33
Pro
Fixes: 6

Have you actually asked to be connected to FTTC & has an engineer visited your home & fitted the fibre modem etc?
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Doesn't an FTTC cabinet generally provide fewer fibre connections than the number of telephone connections in the Phone service cabinet? Provision of FTTC on a particular line is simply "first come, first served".
When all the FTTC connections are taken additions require extra capacity to be added (or someone to give up their service). It strikes me that the OP is in this unfortunate position. Sad
David
x47c
Grafter

Three possibilities come to mind.
1.  The FTTC fibre twin is indeed full of connections to other users.
2. The FTTC cabinet does not yet have its full complement of line cards installed in it and hence has run out of avaiable ports until another line card is added to the cabinet.  This might be behind the garbled message that only 1/3 of the cabinet has been upgraded which as a pure statement by itself sounds total rubbish.
3.  A large number of faulty ports in the cabinet mean that the actual available number of functional spare connections available is dropping fast and is now zero!
For any cabient there will be a number of active pairs going out and a fewer number of active ADSL connections
It does seem that BT are installing FTTC units of smaller maximum capacity than the current number of ADSL connections.
and I can see various reasons why not including
1. Many users will not swap to FTTC or not for some some years yet - so why go to the huge expense of putting in a massive cabinet when only a "few" will swap today.
2. If FTTPoD takes off locally with lots of people putting it in then these users swapping from FTTC to FTTPoD will no longer need the connection in the cabinet anymore, so the cabient will start to have more and more spare connections as time goes on.
Sizing up the appropiate FTTC unit to fit might become rather complicated.
tijara33
Pro
Fixes: 6

I wonder if the OP has actually checked if his exchange has yet gone "live" for fibre? My cabinet had the fibre connections installed months before the fibre cable was laid & finally connected to the adjacent newly installed vented fibre cabinet.