cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

frequent disconnects and poor speeds

teamdb
Grafter

frequent disconnects and poor speeds

Having had a few issues with frequent disconnects and poor connection speeds of 5-16Mbs down and 0.16Mbps up I pinged a 'Help' message to the Plusnet 07800008121 automated support number the other day, it duly picked up a fault with the line and had an engineer booked for this morning.

Come 8am i saw the speeds had returned to a more reasonable (but still pretty rubbish to be fair) 29/6 and assumed the 'engineer' had found an issue in the cabinet and sorted it without needing to attend my property.

All seemed well til approx 2pm whilst in the middle of a Teams meeting the connection duly dropped and when it reconnected I was back to the pitiful 5-16Mbps down, 0.16Mbps up. one restart and about 10 mins later it's finally reconnected at the earlier speeds, did briefly drop for a couplf mins about 10 mins later but came back up without further intervention.

Could one of the plusnet support staff advise if the 'engineer' ticket is still open or have they closed it having assumed they'd fixed an issue?

8 REPLIES 8
teamdb
Grafter

Re: frequent disconnects and poor speeds

So far today the connection dropped at 8am although appeared to be 28/6 for a short time, but dropped again just now at 8:55 with a speed test result of 8/4 approx 10 mins prior to that.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

That suggests that there is still a fault.

You can find your tickets using the link below.  Therein you should find the support ticket and a record of what has happened.  have you not received email notification of the ticket's progress?  If you have email on the Plusnet account, such emails will have been sent to the default mailbox, usually postmaster@youraccount.plus.com - do you monitor the default mailbox?

Emails will similarly have been sent to the contact email address given in your user settings.

It is work revisiting the basics...

Broadband is not going to work well if the "phone" line is not working properly.

Please perform a quiet line test - dial 17070 select option 2 using a corded phone plugged into the test socket behind the face plate of the master socket. It should be silent. A noisy phone line (or no dial tone) will have a marked adverse impact on the performance of broadband.

If the line is noisy or there is no dial tone, then a PHONE LINE fault needs to be raised with your phone provider. If this is PlusNet, you can report a fault on line using the button below.  From the Q&A list, choose the one which matches the problem, 'open' the 'section' and click the trouble-shooter link.  NB: If you receive a failure message (rather than a log-in prompt) then log-in to the user portal in a different browser tab and attempt to use the trouble-shooter again.

Can you please post your full router stats.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

teamdb
Grafter

Thanks for the link to the ticket, always found it odd those are hidden by default...

Haven't had any emails for the ticket and no sms updates, ticket is currently awaiting support team update having been taken off hold at 9am.

Although I don't have a wired handset, the dial tone is clear off the normal dect handset, if need be `i can grab an old wired handset from my office at some point but not likely till after the weekend but hopefully by then this'll all be resolved.

RouterStats - whats the correct config for HH6?

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi there, I'm really sorry that the poor speeds and disconnections are still a problem. Openreach did work on the line for us yesterday and fixed a cable fault at the cabinet so I'm sorry that's not done the trick. The fault report is still open so I've cleared it back to them asking for further investigation. We should have the next update tomorrow at the latest so I'll check back on this then for you and chase it up. 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

I've just checked back on the fault and can see an engineer is set to come and visit you today, I'll check back for updates a little later to make sure we're following things up as quickly as we can. 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

@teamdb wrote:

Thanks for the link to the ticket, always found it odd those are hidden by default...

Haven't had any emails for the ticket and no sms updates, ticket is currently awaiting support team update having been taken off hold at 9am.

Although I don't have a wired handset, the dial tone is clear off the normal dect handset, if need be `i can grab an old wired handset from my office at some point but not likely till after the weekend but hopefully by then this'll all be resolved.

RouterStats - whats the correct config for HH6?

1. Open tickets should be made available on logging into the portal - there is a known fault under investigation
  2. Using my link, you can access the tickets - they should indicate the email address to which notifications were sent
  3. If it is quiet enough with DECT phone (at the time of testing) that's good enough - if it were not quite, it would be wise to use a corded handset to eliminate the possibility that the noise is a facet of the DECT technology
  4. Not sure that router stats works with HH6 - you'd need to ask the author - alternatively you could try DSL Stats

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

teamdb
Grafter

Indeed the engineer has now finished, he changed the faceplate and replaced some dodgy looking crimps on the external side and also changed the port used cabinet side and had the tech team in india do a rebuild on the config.

Cabinet side should now be able to feed an 80mb download but did say that if the cable run from cab to prem is aluminium it'll reduce bandwidth. 

Current speedtests are 33 down 6.6 up so massive difference already, hopefully it stays nice and stable over the next few days.

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Hi there, cheers for the update, that's really good to see. I hope it remains stable for you and Ill make sure we check back in with you on Monday.

Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team