cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

free usage 12-8am

gbhall
Grafter

free usage 12-8am

I am a pretty new user of 'Broadband your way' with 1Gb paid for and 'free usage' from midnight -8am.  Being new, I am monitoring my usage to ensure that my typical usage is not likely to exceed the 1Gb per month. Fine - it's very unlikely.
However, I am puzzled that the report always says I am using 'free time also. This is only small - 1Mb so far, but I don't understand how there is some 80Kb every night, when actually, I am fast asleep, and my PC is off !!  What is going on?
4 REPLIES 4
Mand
Grafter

Re: free usage 12-8am

Hi there,
Do you use a router which is left on all the time? If so it's normal to see a small amount of traffic to your IP address even when your PC is switched off, particularly if you use P2P regularly.
As long as the amount is small it's nothing to worry about. Smiley
gbhall
Grafter

Ok thanks, it's just synchronisation transmissions then. Glad my PC is not conducting a secret affair behind my back !
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

You can also download a nice little program that will give you "real-time" usage.... it is called Netmeter and you can have a little screen on your desktop, that shows your usage, and keeps a tally of it from date set to date set, in the options.... Wink Roll_eyes Smiley
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Netmeter will only show traffic to the PC. Traffic to the router that does not reach the PC will not be accounted for.
Use of the Broadband Firewall may stop or reduce unwanted traffic to the router.
http://www.plus.net/support/security/firewalls/broadbandfirewall.shtml