Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

fibre upload speed hasn't improved still 1.6mb up

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: fibre upload speed hasn't improved still 1.6mb up

Quote from: Boxman101
but with the location of my modem and router (right next to and connected directly to my BT socket) relative to my PC it is just not practical.

I presume you are aware that you can replace the modem to router cable with a Cat 5e Ethernet cable up to 100 metres long with absolutely no risk of it compromising performance or stability. You can also do the same effective thing using homeplugs.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Boxman101
Grafter

Firstly thanks for the advice Jelv, will bear it in mind should such a check be unavoidable.
Chris, have tried five times to (wirelessly) use that BT site but it just won't run, each attempt reporting after a couple of minutes that "The system is currently busy. Please try again shortly, however if this problem persists, raise the issue with your service provider."
Will try again tomorrow and report.
Again, have just (20:26) used the mybroadbandspeed.co.uk tester and got results of 35,918 down and 8,020 up, which is obviously fine.
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

If it still doesn't work, I would suggest trying to clear your history and if still no joy then try a different browser.
Keep me updated.
Boxman101
Grafter

Hello Chris, did as you said,cleared history and tried the BT tester using Chrome this time but unfortunately got the same result each time ie it reports "Now testing your upstream speed for:Test 1", page then seems to freeze for about a minute then says "The system is busy etc etc".
I must emphasise that I am not actually noticing any problems in using the web, the connection is very stable (last involuntary disconnection I detected was on the 13th July), my only reason for posting was that I was mildly curious as to why the measured upload speed when tested with the BT Wholesale tester was consistently much lower than that reported by other testers.  Saw it again earlier this morning with the BT Wholesale tester giving 36.85/2.02 and immediately after speedtest.net showing 35.91/7.84.  Both using IE8.
Later edited to say Aha! Just done the BT Wholesale test twice using Chrome and got 7.4 or so upload, then did the same test using IE8 and only got 1.84 so it looks as though the browser used for this particular testing site may indeed be relevant in some way outside my understanding - using speedtest.net gave very similar results through both Chrome and IE8.
Anyway Chris, thanks for your interest and all your suggestions.
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Glad to help out.
It looks like it is a browser issue.
If there's anything else please let me know.
tijara33
Pro
Fixes: 6

Quote from: chrispurvey
Glad to help out.
It looks like it is a browser issue.
If there's anything else please let me know.

I agrre. My Chrome gives much better & consistent results than either IE8 or Firefox 17.0