cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

fibre unlimited speeds slow...heavy streaming

derast

fibre unlimited speeds slow...heavy streaming

I am on the fibre unlimited PN service. Up until about 3 weeks ago my service was stellar. Speeds were always nearly the quoted 76Mb max. However, since then my speeds are terribly slow. I've been running speed tests for the last couple days and I'm consistently ranging between 12-40Mbps dl and 2-6 Mbps ul according to  http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/. Even right now, I just ran the test a couple times and got the following marks for dl (14Mb, 14Mb, 28Mb), ul (2.8Mb, 6.8Mb, 6Mb), and latency (39, 58, 41). I even tried the tests over the last couple days using PN's own speed test and my dl speeds are consistently between 1.2-3.2MBps with uls always under 1MBps.
I do stream, Skype, and download A LOT (perks of cutting the cord I guess) but this shouldn't be an issue since I have the unlimited plan, right? Am I somehow getting the wrong traffic management profile? Not really sure what the issue is. I logged into my account and it shows that my current line speed is 76Mb; however no estimated current line speed is provided. Can one of the staff, such as Matt, please advise? It's a bit frustrating to keep having Netflix disconnections, and horrible quality Skype calls for work.
Thanks!
10 REPLIES 10
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Re: fibre unlimited speeds slow...heavy streaming

Hi derast,
I've taken a look over your connection and can see no issues, your account is also configured correctly for your product and speed.
Are you connecting over a wired or wireless connection?
I'd also suggest trying a PPPoE connection.
derast

My home server is hard wired but my laptop is always wireless. I only have a single port in my house and it's completely impractical to use. If I setup a PPPoE on my MacBook, will I have issues connecting to other networks?
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

You can remove the connection once you've tried it, this will rule the router out being an issue.
Your router is currently syncing at 78.1Mb/s.
The guide for the MAC PPPoE connection can be found at the bottom of the page from the link I've provided.
goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

can't see any link for MAC PPPoE connection at the bottom of your page? A URL link would be helpful.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

@goldenadsl The link is in the comments on the library article, I think one of the ones Jim has provided is the same though.
derast

I am not able to connect to the PPPoE. Keeps saying "Could not find PPPoE server." Using @plusdsl.net username with the same password I use to log into my PN Member Centre.
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Have you another router you're able to try?
If not, it would be worth running through our faults trouble shooter - http://faults.plus.net
derast

No other router now, sorry. I went through the troubleshooter a few days ago. It shows my complaint status as being closed by a partner. I submitted another one just now. No insight as to the cause of the issue?
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

We've got your logged fault ticket and have just updated that for you.