cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

fibre speed question

matt1295
Dabbler

fibre speed question

hello new to plusnet im on day 11 of my connections going live and after some advice as to what happens
phones plusnet i was told
63 download
20 upload
no matter what speed test i do it isnt more than
46 download
12 upload
is this going to increase more or is this what i can expect
23 REPLIES 23
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Re: fibre speed question

Hi matt1295,
Are the speed tests you're running being completed with an Ethernet Cable or via Wireless?
If done on Wireless, could you test via Ethernet Connection so we can see if there is much of a difference?
matt1295
Dabbler

i am using an Ethernet cable
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Do the speeds vary at any time during the day?
matt1295
Dabbler

it seams to be about the same the upload does vary between 8-12  but was told it would be more like 63dl
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Can you visit http://speedtest.btwholesale.com and run the initial Speed Test as well as 'Further Diagnostics' and attach a screenshot of the results to this thread please so I can take a look?
matt1295
Dabbler

Deleted due to pho e number on show
matt1295
Dabbler

we even rang up and double checked our speed before ordering online and it was confirmed by staff to be 63DL
our phone line is only 4 year old as it was installed when we moved as the house didn't have a phone line
for the speeds your offering i could have had a better deal upgrading with SKY we are not happy at all and we paid are fee to sign up and we are not getting what we were told and if this is the case we will be cancelling because your not offering what we were told
grahamt
Rising Star

The key thing from the speed test pictures that you sent is that your BT IP profile is set at 48.62. That's a limit set by BT's dynamic line management (DLM) software and I don't think there's much that Plusnet (or any alternative provider that uses BT's network) can do about that, other than maybe request a reset. Given that limit, your speed is as fast as you can get. Wait until Monday and one of the Plusnet support staff should pick up your query. DLM throttling can occur for all sorts of reasons, but if your estimate was 63 then maybe it's possible to spot and rectify a fault somewhere.
matt1295
Dabbler

if 48 was the limit set then it shouldn't be sold as 63 to us
i have now ordered BT infinity because im not messing about it wasn't as advertised.
cajef
Grafter

Try a router reboot, my initial speed on first connecting to fibre was low a router reboot cured the problem.
leader
Grafter

As grahamt points out all the bt  network user isp's (sky -talk-talk-EE-BT retail -plusnet ect ect ) come under bt's dlm.
The line speed will be the same on all the isp's Sad  Have a read of  bt retails forum -you soon see a common theme https://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Infinity-Speed-Connection/bd-p/BTInfinity )
What does BT wholesale say on -speed range B  FTTC impacted speed ? click the blue link at the bottom and enter line number--
https://www.btwholesale.com/pages/static/Community/Broadband_Community/Coverage/ADSL_Availibility_Ch...
x47c
Grafter

1. 63 was an ESTIMATE not a guaranteed minimum. Until the signal is applied to any line it is impossible to state with any certainty what will be the download capacity.  
For an example, your neighbours may have some electrical gadget which gives out a huge amount of interference which is picked up by your line as "noise" and your speeds will be reduced.  Is this predictable - no.
2. That said, it may be that you have genuine fault on the line causing the speed to be reduced to 48, or they may have been some transient problem/interference on the line causing the DLM to reduce the speeds and apply a cap - and it has not increased them/released the cap.
If your line is indeed totally fault free and yet truly not capable of sustaining more that 48 for whatever reason (interference etc) then swapping ISP's to another that uses BT's network will achieve nothing as it is the same physical line from your house back to the cabinet.
Performing a line reset in this case is also pointless as the DLM will just sense the line quality, not like it and merely set it back again to 48.
I expect Plusnet staff will want you to through the faults checker to establish whether there is a fault on the line..........
matt1295
Dabbler

i have gone onto the site and entered my phone number my line is only 4 years old
have attached the screen shot of the link Leonardo sent
Stanman24
Grafter

take off your phone number m8