Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

fibre speed and sync speed

LinnPlusnet
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: fibre speed and sync speed

Hi davidfriedlander,
I've just had a look into this for you and unfortunately the agent that you spoke to has changed the current line rate, however, this would not improve your speeds as it now no longer matches the actual rate of your line. Apologies that this has been done incorrectly and I have now sent off the relevant feedback to this agent's manager. You will need to speak to our Customer Options Team about changing back to ADSL from FTTC. When you get through to our Support Team ask to speak to Customer Options to arrange this.
Apologies for any inconvenience this may have caused.
davidfriedlande
Grafter

i have never know such conflicting and confusing information in all my life, i have a good mind to sack it all off and go back to my previous supplier, can you just let me know what my line profile is and why on adsl i got 10mbps down and now on fibre it is only 7mpbs down
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

I've explained why your FTTC is lower than your previous ADSL - it's due to the location of your FTTC Cabinet.
I do apologise that you've got conflicting information - we'll be passing on feedback to the agent you spoke to.
Your Current Line Rate was set correctly, to match your FTTC sync rate. The agent has just set the internal profile we have at it's maximum which will be of absolutely no benefit.
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@Chris. I think we need a bit of clarification here, your reply #20 is confusing and wrong, the FTTC cabinet has to be less than 100 metres from the PCP so saying it can be in another location because of planning issues is nonsense. Is the OP's line length to the PCP known? That is the first thing that needs to be established to figure out why the FTTC speeds are so low.
@davidfriedlander - can you try the BT wholesale checker using your phone number to find out the expected FTTC speeds?
https://www.btwholesale.com/pages/static/Community/Broadband_Community/Coverage/ADSL_Availibility_Ch...
davidfriedlande
Grafter

i know where the cabinet is (pcp and fttc) right next to each other. It is quite a long way from my house, i acknowledge that!
@realalemadrid
i too would like to know the line length, just to be sure. the link to the checker is down at the moment but after doing this previously the estimates are way lower than what i actually get.
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Generally the PCP & DLSAM are within 50M away from each other - I acknowledge that, but that's not in all cases.
The issue here is the length of the cabling between the PCP to the premises, as the PCP & DSLAM are right next to each other, there's very likely to be a crosstalk issue too.
I'll locate the PCP & DSLAM, find out what the distance is (if possible) and I'll give an explanation of the differences between ADSL & FTTC frequencies work and how this can affect the connection too.
goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

Here is picture example of my cabinets -  PCP and FTTC are close to each other? Does it affect crosstalk if it was like this Chris? It's look like within 25m between each others.
davidfriedlande
Grafter

right decision is made, i am cancelling the fibre. i am now at 6mbps down. after being at 10 with adsl this makes a huge difference to me.
i have read about people who were on 2 adsl and got fibre and going to 40-50, how is it that i was on 10 and gone down to 6.
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Where exactly is your FTTC Cabinet located?
If you can advise that, I'll certainly give you an explanation for the speed loss on FTTC.
davidfriedlande
Grafter

cabinet 9 on the bowmansgreen exchange
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Sorry, do you know what road the cabinet is on for example?
I've got all the details, but it doesn't give us the exact location of the Cabinet.
davidfriedlande
Grafter

Link to street view
jim:green link fixed and duplicate post removed ][/color]
davidfriedlande
Grafter

junction of Bluett road and Caledon road in london colney
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Thanks, I've found it.
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Okay, so the distance between your property and your FTTC Cabinet is 1.3 Miles.
VDSL and VDSL2 utilise higher frequencies than standard ADSL2+ lines and due to the long distance of the cabinet to the premises its likely that the loss in signal incurred is causing a large reduction in sync rate for your service.
As ADSL/ADSL2 uses a lower frequency which is less likely to lose speeds over longer distances, that is why you're able to get a good ADSL speed over FTTC. It's lower frequency means it's less partial to picking up other noise or crosstalk.