cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

fibre optic broadband

brianber123

fibre optic broadband

I have seen on this site that fibre optic comes via an underground cable. I phoned Plus Net and was told that if I change over it will be connected  by the overhead phone wire. I live on the edge of Southampton and currently have broadband but would consider an optic fibre package  incl phone. My question is how does the fibre optic enter the home ? Underground cable or the existing tel wire? We do have underground cables in the road  and one of my neighbours is connected to Virgin.
6 REPLIES 6
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: fibre optic broadband

Ignore Virgin - they use their own cables and that connection may go underground.
There are two versions of fibre FTTC (Fibre to the cabinet) and FTTP (Fibre to the premises)
In the case of FTTC the broadband would come via your existing wires from the cabinet
In the case of FTTP - I don't know
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

If you put your exchange details in http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange_search it will tell you what is available.
Try the BT wholesale checker, put your phone number in http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome it should tell you if FTTC is available to your premises. The Cabinet will be fairly close to you if it is.
What sort of speed to you currently get?
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Fibre to the cabinet (FTTC) uses a fibre connection from your exchange to the green roadside BT boxes (they fit a new bigger cabinet normally next to the existing green cabinet to take the fibre connection). From there it uses your existing telephone copper pair to supply your broadband connection. This does not affect your voice connection.
Fibre to the Premises (FTTP) uses a fibre connection from the exchange directly to your house (it sometimes goes via another roadside green box). It is terminated at a new box fitted to the outside of the house and you get a separate box inside to connect your router. Your normal phone connection stays as it is using the copper pair.
FTTP is only available in a few areas, FTTC is being made generally available around the country and is the most likely fibre connection you will be able to get.
FTTC is currently around 40Mbs down and 10Mbs or 2Mbs up, with a trial of 80Mbs down 20Mbs up in progress.
FTTP is currently around 100Mbs down and I think 10Mbs up, with a future trial of up to 300Mbs down and a higher figure up.
Ronski
Rising Star

FTTC is currently available with a 40/2, 40/10 and 80/20 (Down/Up) speeds, just Plus Net are dragging their heels and haven't yet released the latter two products, but they are available and have been for some time from other ISP's.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

If you're interested in the speeds mentioned in the above post we do have trials currently going on - check http://trials.plus.net for more info Smiley
Ronski
Rising Star

I'll be interested in a 40/10 product once our FTTC goes live, things are progressing well, majority of cabinets are in and they're starting to connect power, loads of blocked ducts seem to have been sorted as well, not so many scheduled now on roadworks.org. Hopefully we will be live in the next month or so, and hopefully PN wil have launched there 40/10 product by the time we are. I don't want to be on the 80/20 trial only to find there's no 40/10 option when the trial ends.