Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

fibre installation

Griff7520
Grafter

fibre installation

Hi all
my main phone socket is in the living room. my router is upstairs in the back bedroom. At the moment I run a extension cable from the main socket through the ceiling and into the bedroom where I plug in my router. My question is how will the bt engineer install the new equipment. Will he run the cable the same way or will he take it out the wall outside the house and up to the router or will he try and run it the same way it is now...what I am asking is will he make it so the cable is not running up the stair under carpets or round door frames etc etc...I don't want a mess making in the house as the wife will go mental.
6 REPLIES 6
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

Re: fibre installation

Hi,
Did you order a data extension?  If not then the BT modem will be installed at the master socket.
If you did, then having that routed out side might be a matter of talking very nicely to the installation engineer.  Wink

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Griff7520
Grafter

yes there is an extension coming...what I am needing to know is will it be a professional installation. I don't want wires visible everywhere etc etc
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

It largely depends on the individual.  Some Kelly Communications sub contractors will avoid installing data extensions if they can get away with it.  Some BTOR engineers will do much more than the minimum required.  Sadly it is all in the luck of the draw...!

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Griff7520
Grafter

as far as I can see....the main phone socket is in the front living room window sill. And an extension goes from that straight up throught the corner of the ceiling into the bedroom above  My current router is connected through that.. The best way to me is to put a new main socket above where the old one is at the moment and then use the existing main socket as a extension as the cable is already there. Will the engineer put a new main socket upstairs if asked..all that would be needed then would be to put the main cable through the wall in the upstairs bedroom, it would be the easiest way
thanks.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

As I have tried suggest, it depends on the individual you get on the day.
I would try to suggest that relocating the master socket to up stairs (re-route the drop wire) would be far much easier for the BT engineer / subcontractor than having to go to the trouble of installing the data extension.
...leaving you to sort out the internal,wiring as you see fit.

Griff7520
Grafter

OK....Will ask the question when he gets here...hope we get an bt engineer and not a cowboy Smiley