cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

fibre and wifi

duracelluk
Dabbler

fibre and wifi

Hello first time on a forum. I have fibre up to 74mg. I have tested the speed via connection to test socket to my pc. It shows i am getting 73.4 all good there. But my wifi is running between 3 and 5mb. Is this right as i was under the impression that the wifi would bea lot better(im getting more on my 3g phone) i know the signal drops but to be dropping that much and to pay over 30 pounds a month seems waste of money. My router is the technicolor tg582n. Im happy with it wired to ps3 and other bits but should i be getting better on the wifi. Many thanks in advance
17 REPLIES 17
Dhaos
Grafter

Re: fibre and wifi

Yes you should be getting much better speeds on your wifi, you can try changing your wifi channel on the router to see if that helps.
http://www.pcworld.com/article/260524/how_to_fix_your_wi_fi_network_7_tips.html
duracelluk
Dabbler

Thank you i read that somewhere and it scared me thinking i might break something. Is it simple
Dhaos
Grafter

yes it is just a matter of changing from one number to another and pressing apply.
duracelluk
Dabbler

Am i likely to see a significant difference
Dhaos
Grafter

Crystal balls says "no"
duracelluk
Dabbler

i cant even get to the login page for the router. I have checked which channel im on (6) along with 3 other networks. only one available without anyone on is 14. need help now im getting fed up and thinking im wasting my money
Devonian
Grafter

There could be a lot of things causing the low speed with the wireless.
There could be interference, such as a Plasma screen tv.  It could be thee wireless card in your laptop playing up, or needing the drivers updating.
There could be interference from your neighbour, or even the street light!
What you need to do is start from the beginning and rule out the possibles.
My Brother is using the same router as you, and getting 18meg throughput on a 19meg sync so you defo aren't wasting your money.
Can you post a wired and a wireless speedtest result?
And do you have another wireless device you can run a speed test on?
duracelluk
Dabbler

thank you for your help deonian, wired speed test is downloading at 73.53 uploading 16.36 and ping 27.38. I have performed the test 3 times and the results are pretty much the same. this is don't via connecting my laptop to to test point with Ethernet cable.
when I run a speed test via app on mobile the results are d/l 5.13  u/l 0.29 and pin 86, tried it again results were d/l 3.97 u/l 0.27 and ping 73. I have had it go up to 8mb and 29mg but when I tried it again it went back down to lower end again.
duracelluk
Dabbler

sorry Devonian the lower results were connected through wifi.
Devonian
Grafter

Have you checked the drivers on your laptop are up to date?
Speed tests on a phone are quite unreliable, mine is all over the place.
What I would do is is disconnect every thing from the internet, switch off everything in the house that is electrical, apart from the router and the laptop, then try a wireless speed test.
If it is still slow, then change the wireless channel, 1 by 1 until the speed increases.
If the speed stays low, I would suggest the router is faulty.
If the speed picks up, then switch on your appliances 1 by 1, doing a speed test after every one.
If this doesn't work, I'd suggest the router is faulty.
Devonian
Grafter

I forgot to ask if you have a full Wifi signal when you perform the speed test?
duracelluk
Dabbler

thank you Devonian. I have been using a mobile app speed tester for testing the wifi. I will try your advice about changing the channel if I can the login page up.it does keep saying page not found when I type what I have been told to type in the address bar. (the isp number for routers) but will keep trying, thank you again
duracelluk
Dabbler

full wifi signal you mean all the bars right. yes I have all the bars up
NedLudd
Grafter

Just to give you some idea of what IS achievable.
On ethernet I get around 72 meg down and 17 up
On wifi I get 53 meg down and 16 meg up!
These figures come from the Ookla testing site.
I am not using the supplied router though, I have a TP-Link router.
Geoff,
York.