cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

fastest way to resolve line noise?

chesterfield
Grafter

fastest way to resolve line noise?

I appears to have an issue with water ingress on the line somewhere. Broadband dropping every 30 seconds or so, and large amount of crackling on the line with voice calls.
Am I likely to get an engineer visit quicker if I raise a voice fault or broadband fault?
How do I do the one which will see fault cured quickest? As the wiring to the house was installed by engineer only a few months ago, I'm going to point the finger at the pole or some other trunking I think.
4 REPLIES 4
PeeGee
Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: fastest way to resolve line noise?

The recommendation is to raise a phone fault - clearing that fault will (normally) clear broadband problems  Smiley
Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.
Estragon
Rising Star

I would report the crackling on the line on voice calls and not mention anything to do with broadband. (If both are with PN that matters less than if the line rental is elsewhere, but in general if you mention broadband when reporting a phone fault, the CP will refer you to your ISP).  Voice line faults typically get a quicker response from Openreach.  Probably because there are a lot fewer variables. Fixing the voice normally fixes the broadband, whereas broadband testing can show no fault even when there is voice trouble.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Reporting such symptoms as a phone fault has worked for me in the past - twice.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Phone fault. You need a POTS engineer - if you get a broadband engineer there's a chance he will just say the line is faulty and you'll then have to wait for a second appointment for the POTS engineer (especially if is means climbing poles!).
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)