cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ethernet doesn't have a valid IP configuration

LeoFox1001

ethernet doesn't have a valid IP configuration

I am getting this message on my PC when trying to get on the internet, I've changed no settings or anything, it just happened a few days ago, can anyone help? All other devices work, just the PC.

Thanks.

11 REPLIES 11
Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

Re: ethernet doesn't have a valid IP configuration

From a command prompt enter the following commands

ipconfig /release

ipconfig /renew

that ought to do the trick
MKSlinky
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 3

I had the exact same problem last week. I thought Plusnet had gone down as I Iost my connection completely but then noticed I still had wireless working on my other devices.

I tried resetting my router first because I couldn't remember the command to use with the CMD prompt. Resetting failed to resolve the problem so then I started looking elsewhere. The Network Troubleshooter was no help and only told me what I already knew, ie. "no valid IP Configuration".

I use TP-Link Powerline adaptors to get network connectivity all over my house and unplugging those sometimes resolves these kind of issues but even that didn't work. I left it until the morning and the same problem still existed.

What actually solved it in the end was rather simple, for whatever reason my TP-Link devices had become 'un-paired'. Pairing them again restored my connection.

LeoFox1001

I'm really quite a novice when it comes to computers, how do you pair the TP-link? what is a TP-link? I tried the previous posters suggestion in the command section, didn't work.

Cheers.

LeoFox1001

Sounds like the exact problem I had, Internet had went down and when it come back on, my PC all of a sudden wouldn't connect, all other devices work.

Browni
Aspiring Hero

Start->Settings->Network and internet->Network reset will do a full reset of the networking components and will probably require a system restart.
LeoFox1001

Thanks very much, will try it when I get home.

MKSlinky
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 3

@LeoFox1001

If you don't know what a TP-Link Powerline Adaptor is you most likely don't have or even need one.

Here's what they look like, for interest only! http://uk.tp-link.com/products/details/cat-18_TL-PA4010-KIT-V1.20.html

LeoFox1001

Tried this but it's still the same sadly. Thank you anyway.

Browni
Aspiring Hero

Have you tried restarting the router?
LeoFox1001

Don't think I'd actually tried that, but did it just now and still nothing, it works when I have a wireless dongle in it, but picks up nothing without it. Strange.

Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

If you're using Windows 8 or 10, you could try disabling DHCP which usually resolves this sort of problem I've seen. Here's the guide to do this: https://community.plus.net/t5/Broadband/Disabling-Enabling-DHCP-on-Windows-8-10/td-p/1393553

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button