cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

email problems...

zubel
Community Veteran

Re: email problems...

If it's downloading *that* slowly, I'd suspect there is a problem.
Post up your router stats (as I mentioned in the PM) and we'll see what we can do to get it rectified Smiley
B.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Ouch, I've just ran a quick line test and it isn't looking good.
You are currently syncing to the exchange at 128k downstream and 64k upstream, something is definitely wrong.
Make sure you are connected in to the master socket with 1 filter, remove all other telephony devices and then check the sync speed as advised by Barry.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
PNnewbie
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Barry/Chris,
Thanks for that.
Just removed the phone completely, I use an Orchid dialler but all that's disconnected for now.  All i have connected is the DLink 2640B straight into a filter then straight into the master socket.  I've also tried the other filter but same results...
Incidentally I'm using wireless, set the computer up using NetStumbler - the whole thing took literally a couple of minutes and I was up and running, (well crawling!!!)
Presumably this problem is line related?
We've not had problems with the phone for years - appreciate tho' that might not be relevant...
I just ran BroadbandSpeedChecker again (12:40) and speeds reported as:-
download = 96k
upload = 52k
Really appreciate your help,
John
Chris
Legend

The speeds you get on a test like that aren't going to increase straightaway, what we need to see is if the sync speed has increased.
*goes to run another line test*
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Chris
Legend

Hmm doesn't appear to have improved. Something is definitely wrong here, I'd advise raising a fault through http://faults.plus.net
PNnewbie
Rising Star

OK, how do I check the sync speed ?
Can I do it or must it be done at the 'other end' ?
I've had broadband for years but it was wireless broadband via local ISP straight to my wireless card via an outside antenna - so I've NO experience (or knowledge!) of using landline/routers...
(says he tongue in cheek...)
Thanks,
John
zubel
Community Veteran

Quick double check - do you have a Sky box / burglar alarm plugged into the phone line?
Also, have you tried plugging into the Test socket *behind* the master socket. (unscrew the bottom half of the master faceplate)
Try that, and report back the 'Sync' speed from your router (not a speedtest).
To get your sync speed depends greatly on the router itself.  What router are you currently using?
B.
Chris
Legend

The sync speed can be seen on your router pages, depending on which type of router you can find the info on how to get them here.
PNnewbie
Rising Star

Chris/
Tried to report a problem to PN but one of the questions I get asked is "on what date was your service fully working".  As  it's never worked properly can't really fill that in SO can't go any further...
Ref the SkyBox etc - no - at the moment I've NOTHING but the router and filter connected to the master socket.
Incidentally I can't remove the front of the master socket to plug the filter inside it - it's an older one...
Ref the router sync details - my router is not listed on the drop down menu - it's a D-Link DSL-2640B
Thanks guys,
John
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

look in the manual page 64
Section 4 - Troubleshooting
ADSL STATISTICS
This window displays ADSL information including Link Rate, SNR, and some Error Counters.
Downloaded from here
geewizz
Grafter

Quote from: PNnewbie

Tried to report a problem to PN but one of the questions I get asked is "on what date was your service fully working".  As  it's never worked properly can't really fill that in SO can't go any further...

If I was faced with this situation I would enter a date that was before you were first connected.
PNnewbie
Rising Star

OldJim - Thanks for the link to D-Link - should have thought of that myself...
(presume the manual is on the disc that came with the router - being an old grandad I HATE manuals on disc - much prefer a hard copy - probably not good for the environment tho' !)
Went into the router and these are the figs that might interest you:-
Downstream Upstream Rate (Kbps): 128  64 
SNR Margin (dB): 29.8  31.0 
Attenuation (dB): 52.0  28.0 
That looks bad?
gewhizz - maybe try that - the software looks for a numerical answer so obviously more suited to someone who has had broadband running properly for a while then ran into problems...
Thanks again,
John

zubel
Community Veteran

Yep, those line stats look absolutely awful
Continue to raise a fault using an old date as per the suggestion above.  Once you have a fault raised, post back the ticket number here and I'm sure Chris can pick it up.
B.
Chris
Legend

As has been suggested raise a fault using the activation date to fill in that field, those stats really aren't good.
PNnewbie
Rising Star

Chris,
Followed your link to do the stats connection check, the 'Broadband fault checker' is running and tells me to come back in a couple of hours...
no mention of a ticket number...
john