Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

email problems...

PNnewbie
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

email problems...

Hi,
I’m just in the process of signing up with PlusNet – hoping it will prove less troublesome than my present ISP (I have to fill in my user name & password every time I log on – then it proceeds to disconnect me every few minutes… 
I received an email from PlusNettelling me:-
“We have successfully created your email account and it is ready for use”
I presume that this means just what it says – that my email account is ‘live’ though my broadband has ‘not’ been connected as yet.
I have a Yahoo email account and have sent mail from my PlusNet account (Squirrel Mail) to my Yahoo account without any problems.  However when I use the reply facility I get a Yahoo error message:-
Sorry, I couldn't find any host named XXXXXX.plus.com. (#5.1.2)
(I’ve inserted XXXXXX here instead of my actual account name)
I do notice that the mail address that Yahoo shows this as having being sent from is not the same as that which PlusNet mail indicated my address would be – I’ve changed this via ‘options – personal information’ .  The correct sender’s address then appears in mail I send to Yahoo – BUT I get the same error message when I try and send a mail back to Squirrel…
Any one with any ideas.  I’m subscribing to PlusNet for the broadband, not for the email facility but it would be nice if it worked…
Oh and apologies if I'm in the wrong forum...
Thanks,
48 REPLIES 48
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: email problems...

You need to send the mail to anyname@youraccountname.plus.com
zubel
Community Veteran

It can take up to 48 hours for the DNS servers around the globe to update, although I would expect a major site such as Yahoo to be able to "see" your new domain within 4 hours or so.
In other words, give it 4 hours and try again.
If you continue getting errors, raise a ticket asking for Plusnet to investigate it!
B.
PNnewbie
Rising Star

Hi,
Anotherone – thanks, that’s the format I was using.
Barry – thanks also, that’s interesting. 
Got the ‘new mailbox’ email yesterday morning so maybe it’s a bit early to get too flustered!
Thanks again,
John
Anotherone
Champion

Should have mentioned you need the catchall turned on otherwise only postmaster@ and username@username.plus.com go to your default mailbox.
zubel
Community Veteran

Actually, if the mailbox was created yesterday morning then in my eyes the domain should have been in place by now.
Raise a ticket asking for your domain to be checked, and also link this thread in it. 
Not sure which pool the ticket will enter, but there is a chance that it will go to the Networks pool, who usually only work normal office hours so it may not get attended to until Monday.
Meanwhile, if you'd like to PM me your 'domain', I'll see if I can't do some digging for you Smiley
B.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Quote from: Anotherone
Should have mentioned you need the catchall turned on otherwise only postmaster@ and username@username.plus.com go to your default mailbox.

It's first_name@username.plus.com and postmaster@username.plus.com nowadays as far as I'm aware (by default). I'm wondering whether or not Squirrelmail has adapted to this convention?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Anotherone
Champion

In which case that must have changed, because that's not what my MMM shows. user@user is my default and postmaster the alias.
Nor by the way is it what the MMM overview implies - website@website.plus.net is shown as a default.
Edit: Best thing is to check in MMM what an individual account shows as default.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Quote from: Anotherone
In which case that must have changed, because that's not what my MMM shows. user@user is my default and postmaster the alias.

Yes, it did change. At the same time we began disabling the catch-all functionality by default. If you sign up a free dialup account you'll see what I mean.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

Anotherone
Champion

Perhaps you could get the MMM overview on Help and Support updated. Thanks.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

What's the URL and I'll see if I can get this picked up early next week?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

Anotherone
Champion

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks. Looking at that though, the text doesn't specifically say that  the default email address will be set up one way or the other. The example in the pictures is in the username@username.plus.com format but I don't really think that's too much of a problem. In fact, thinking about it, we've probably more customers whose default address is in the old format when compared to the new.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

Anotherone
Champion

Hi Bob,
Thanks for that, there was another help page which did refer to new accounts with the new format, BUT also said about old accounts and the old format.
Maybe the page I referred to could be updated to say the same.
Regards.
PNnewbie
Rising Star

Hi,
I posted here a few days regarding some email problems I had, the thread appears to have meandered off at a tangent as sometimes happens !!!
Just thought I'd pop my head 'round the door and thank all those who helped me, including Barry Z and the good folk at PN, my mail is now working as it should.
My broadband has just been activated this morning and I'm up and running but it's SOOO slow - downloading at ~100k and uploading at ~50K,  let's hope it speeds up in the next couple of days or I'll be picking you good people's brains again!!!
Thanks again,
John