cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

email on vista with ethernet

PK3

email on vista with ethernet

I've successfully connected my  new vista computer to the net using the 210 Router and an ethernet conneection  but I can't disconnect from the net as I used to be able to with the voyager 105 modem. It seems to be permanently connected. Also i don;t seem able to connect to my emails. Any advice would be welcome - but I'm not very computer literate i'm afraid.
4 REPLIES 4
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: email on vista with ethernet

You are permanently connected, that's normal.
What email software are you using and how have you configured it?
PK3

I am with plus net and I know this sounds stupid but I wasn't aware I needed software. I used to use Outlook Express - I realise this is now called windows mail. When I open it it says it's transferring everything from outlook express but sends up an error message  - saying its encountered a problem. I used an easy transfer cable to transfer stuff from my old pc to my new. It said some material was password protected and I think I must have messed up and not typed in a security password once I'd transferred things to my new PC. I can get as far as opening up the emails lists but if I want to send and receive it asks me for a password and user name. Nothing I type in works. Is there any way to circumvent that?
Denzil
Grafter

That what HPsauce means - the email software you are using is Windows Mail/Outlook Express. (One more annoying Vista feature - renaming things to confuse everybody!)
You need to go through the settings in Windows Mail. There is probably a username and password setting that wasn't transferred. Rather than go into detail here, read some of the Plusnet <a href="http://www.plus.net/support/email/setup/index.shtml?supporta=emailsetupguides">setup guides</a>. Then get back to us if you still have a problem.
PK3

I will do. Many thanks.