Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

email forwarding from domain host UK2.net not working with Plusnet

snozboz
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: email forwarding from domain host UK2.net not working with Plusnet

I have made the request (on ticket 26134353) as Bob suggested in reply28, having initiated the nameserver change at UK2.
I am not impressed that UK2 haven't acted on this situation.  But I'm also not impressed with Postini's action and lack of communication with their customers (even if this is part of an unchanged strategy and set of anti-spam rules).  I was glad when PlusNet communicated with Postini and UK2, but continuing to wait for a response from UK2 without keeping us regularly updated to deadlines, and without doing any further action was disappointing.
BTW, why does justthename charge 4 times more than UK2 for a domain name and services like email forwarding?
Martin
drunkenmonkey
Grafter

You can also use google for domains to host your email for your domain, as well as do many other things with it!
Check out: http://www.google.com/a/help/intl/en/admins/editions.html
It's free and uses gmail so you get all the benefits of a gmail account!
canford
Grafter

Quote from: drunkenmonkey
You can also use google for domains to host your email for your domain, as well as do many other things with it!
Check out: http://www.google.com/a/help/intl/en/admins/editions.html
It's free and uses gmail so you get all the benefits of a gmail account!

Hmm...... Interesting. Provides an SLA for e-mail but, unfortunately in the current circumstances, they also offers "Policy management and message recovery by Postini". They're the people who appear to have been throwing the messages away. (Most test messages have disappeared and not been bounced)
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Yes, Google Apps also uses Postini (although I believe that they use a different version).
It would be interesting to know what happens if you have uk2.net set up to forward to a domain hosted on a Google Apps account. I've got a Google Apps domain but not a uk2.net account unfortunately.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

canford
Grafter

There had to be a snag and further reading/investigation of Google Sites reveals that it's all rather limited. No HTML/ftp, only the Google Sites 'application'. For many people, that's probably a non-starter. Their forums reveal frustration with this limitation.   Sad
amp

I don't see why UK2 are getting the blame for this problem. All they are doing is forwarding all my Domain related emails to Plusnet. If my domain was registered with Plusnet, they would get the same amount of spam as is via UK2.
I have recommended quite a few people to UK2 and Plusnet and they are not happy about emials getting bounced back.
I have resolved this for now by configuring :  "UK2-email"  forwarding to  "Another-free-ISP-email" forwarding to "My Plusnet A/C".  Now I am getting my emails (including spams).
If plusnet does not reslove this soon, then few of us will moving to another ISP.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Quote from: amp
I don't see why UK2 are getting the blame for this problem. All they are doing is forwarding all my Domain related emails to Plusnet. If my domain was registered with Plusnet, they would get the same amount of spam as is via UK2.
I have recommended quite a few people to UK2 and Plusnet and they are not happy about emials getting bounced back.
I have resolved this for now by configuring :   "UK2-email"  forwarding to  "Another-free-ISP-email" forwarding to "My Plusnet A/C".  Now I am getting my emails (including spams).

But other domain hosts who offer forwarding don't seem to be having these problems? I don't think it's just the amount of spam originating from the uk2.net servers but also the frequency and rate at which they're hitting Postini's servers.
As mentioned earlier in the thread, an alternative would be for you to bring your domain in for hosting only (you can leave the registration with uk2.net). There's a support article on how to do this here.
If plusnet does not reslove this soon, then few of us will moving to another ISP.

What do you suggest we do? If we whitelist uk2.net's mail servers then *all* email sent via them will be delivered to users (including all the junk etc.). It will render the majority of customers' spam filtering useless as their settings would be overridden by the whitelisting. TBH, I'm not even sure this is a viable option anyway.
We've spoken to Postini and they have given us our assurances that *nothing* has changed at their side. If they're not doing anything differently then one can only assume that there has been some change at uk2.net's side. Whether that's an increase in the volume and frequency of spam to their servers or a configuration change I do not know.
We have spoken to Postini and they have told us why this is happening. We have relayed this information to uk2.net who said they would look into it.
To be on the safe side we're now in the process of escalating this issue via our Postini account manager to see if there's any more that can be done at our side. I'll also raise another support ticket with uk2.net to suggest that they get in touch with Postini directly if they still haven't done so.
I recognise that this is causing some customers a massive inconvenience but we're trying to do all that we can.
Edit: Can I ask if people are still having problems as one of my colleagues has just sent an email via uk2.net's domain name forwarding and it arrived immediately in their Plusnet mailbox. I do understand the problem's intermittent but thought I'd ask the question nonetheless.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

6string
Dabbler

Hi Bob,
Now the relay server seems to have a problem. Is this related?
amp

Bob
Thanks for your prompt reply  to #36. I understand the situation but it is just very annoying.  I have raised a ticket with UK2 as well.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Quote from: 6string
Now the relay server seems to have a problem. Is this related?

Do you mean uk2.net's relay server or ours?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

6string
Dabbler

Sorry Bob,
That was bad of me for not being very clear, and as I can't write to anyone I went out, hence the slow reply. It's Plusnet. I now cant send any emails at all. I get an error message saying there is a temporary fault.
Bobtheboater

Hi
I've been watching this thread for the last few days and thought I'd chip in. For the last  month I've had a suspicion I was losing emails. Mid August I discovered how to access Postini and look at emails they had quarantined. Surprise, there were a dozen or so perfectly legitimate emails that Postini had decided I shouldn't get. Some important some not important but none of it was spam. But all of it was routed via UK2 from my domain address. It only dated back a couple of weeks presumably earlier stuff had been deleted.
My Postini setting was “lenient” so I disabled Postini for my account. Now I find they unilaterally override that setting and deny me all my mail. It may be that Postini haven't changed anything but that surely just shows they always have been too quick to quarantine/block emails.
My solution, for what it's worth, was to divert my email to a free UK2 email account and collect it from there. So far I'm now getting all my emails, and no spam.
I hope for everyone's sake this is sorted out soon.
PS Just for the record, I'm no lover of UK2 they fouled up a domain name for me a few months back.
APlusNetCustome

Call me cynical, but I am heartened that in this time of poor service performance, PlusNet still find time to e-mail me to remind me about the next payment being taken from my account.
We hope that you are enjoying PlusNet Broadband Your Way Option 4 (Monthly Contract) with included 40GB bandwidth account and finding our services of exceptional value.

No not really....
Please note - It is important that your payment details are valid and you have sufficient funds on or just after 2008-xxxxx as failure to do so will result in your PlusNet Broadband Your Way Option 4 (Monthly Contract) with included 40GB bandwidth account being disabled.

It's already not working properly and hasn't for almost a week now and I pay on time....
If you have any queries about this or any other matter, please don't hesitate to contact our friendly Support Team on 0845 1400200 We are available to take your calls 24 hours, 7 days a week.

Sorry, but I found the 'friendly Support Team' anything but....  The chap I spoke to was abrupt and not supportive.
Oh well.  Mustn't grumble...  Just wait quietly in line until it's sorted.
ChrisL
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Quote from: bobtheboater
My Postini setting was “lenient” so I disabled Postini for my account.

I hope you don't mind me asking, but how did you do that?
Chris

creamola
Grafter

Bob and all,
                  I have also been severely affected by this. All email being forwarded via uk2.net is failing to be delivered to a Plusnet account. The reason is that the "retry timeout is exceeded" - i.e. Postini is not responding to requests to accept these emails.
Now, we know that Postini are responsible for this issue - but they swear they have made no changes. We must accept that until/if we discover otherwise.
The CHANGE that is causing this, is that Postini tell us that there has been a huge increase in spam originating from uk2.net - and so uk2.net have been completly blacklisted (as I understand it, the blacklist persists for an hour and then is re-applied if volumes continue - which may explain why some stuff gets through and others doesn't). What we also know, (from what has been reported) that customers of other ISP's believe emails to Plusnet to have also been blocked by Postini.
I therefore think that it would be useful to have Plusnet's Postini Account Manager just simply provide the stats for the volume of spam email emanating from uk2.net BEFORE the blacklist was imposed - i.e. situation normal - and what it is now. If we have the stats that demonstrate that overall spam levels have dramatically increased, then we can go back to uk2.net with that info - as I am sure they would want to work on cutting it down - as it costs them money. However, if the levels are similar, then we know that Postini must have changed something and are incorrectly blaming spam levels.
In addition, there must  be some folk reading this who are Postini clients - could you just check with your IT teams to see if they are experiencing anything different from the usual Postini blocking patterns?
Either way, we need to do something - because right now, uk2.net's web site acknowledges the problem but says it is a Plusnet issue and Plusnet say something similar about uk2.net. We need to break the impasse.
Thanks,
Creamola.