cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

e mail

laura
Grafter

e mail

hi, just a "general" question: is there a way to add a background image to an e mail in squirrel mail (that would appear like a watermark to the recipient)? I remember when using Outlook that it allows a background image, always thought it looked cool.
6 REPLIES 6
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: e mail

That function only works with html formatting. As squirrel mail doesn't support that you can't.
As a general point - it may look cool but if the recipient has html turned off (a very good idea for security reasons) they won't see it.
I also found that a number of businesses block html content by default which can cause problems. How I hit this was I kept getting emails from a company and if I used the reply function it was blocked. Turned out the original sender was using html and I had the Outlook option set to reply in the same format as received.
laura
Grafter

well it was just an idea, but your reply was certainly interesting - something for us all to note.
God
Grafter

I am not 100% sure about this but I think under some circumstances the background gets converted to an attachment. So folks end up getting a regular email with the 'background' as a file they open and then think.. Why the hell has 'X' sent me this.
KevinHyland
Grafter

Quote from: Oldjim
That function only works with html formatting. As squirrel mail doesn't support that you can't.
As a general point - it may look cool but if the recipient has html turned off (a very good idea for security reasons) they won't see it.
I also found that a number of businesses block html content by default which can cause problems. How I hit this was I kept getting emails from a company and if I used the reply function it was blocked. Turned out the original sender was using html and I had the Outlook option set to reply in the same format as received.

Squirrelmail can be adapted to operate an HTML composer, but Plusnet don't seem interested in helping their customers out with this.
There was a survey started in the PUG but I don't think it got very far...
Lack of HTML is one of my biggest bug bears with SM actually...
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

We're aware of the html plugin for SquirrelMail and this is indeed something that we're looking at implementing.
That's why we started the thread here, so we could collate peoples feedback on the platform before making an informed decision as to what we do next.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

KevinHyland
Grafter

Quote from: Bob
We're aware of the html plugin for SquirrelMail and this is indeed something that we're looking at implementing.
That's why we started the thread here, so we could collate peoples feedback on the platform before making an informed decision as to what we do next.

Please to hear it!
Please see my earlier comments on the Squirrelmail thread - and those of others, particularly at the back end of page 9...