cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

e-mail problems?

atbs1
Grafter

Re: e-mail problems?

If you want to see the service status : why not put a visual on our log-in page? There is after all enough desktop room there...
Don't send me an e-mail though - it'll sit in the queue!
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Quote from: Bob
Quote from: wuggywugrat
Incidentally it appears there are delays on email again this morning - service status says everything is ok...

The queues are rising steadily (will get this looked into) but are not at levels that would cause delays. Have you got the headers from some of these emails that haven't arrived on time? If so can you raise a ticket so we can look into things.

We're running a script now to clear stuck processes on one of the delivery servers and the queues on that box are coming down. Over the next hour or so we'll be doing the same for the other servers. Should all be coming down in an hour or so and shouldn't be causing delays.
Quote from: wuggywugrat
Ok, so my 10.48am email just turned up at 2.58pm.  I've edited the headers to preserve my confidentiality.
X-Daemon-Classification: INNOCENT
Envelope-to: [deleted]
Delivery-date: Fri, 24 Aug 2007 13:58:28 +0000
Received: from pih-relay05.plus.net ([212.159.14.132])
          by fhw-sunmxcore03.plus.net with esmtp (PlusNet MXCore v2.00) id 1IOZgC-0006f3-2a
          for [deleted]; Fri, 24 Aug 2007 13:58:28 +0000
Received: from [my IP address] (helo=AdminPC)
        by pih-relay05.plus.net with esmtp (Exim) id 1IOVm3-0001SM-Pl
        for [my email address]; Fri, 24 Aug 2007 10:48:16 +0100
To: <[my email address]>
Subject: test at 10.48
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2007 10:48:37 +0100
Message-ID: <24C34033A6A64E08AFDA220145D23913@AdminPC>
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: multipart/alternative;
        boundary="----=_NextPart_000_0000_01C7E63C.53ACFAA0"
X-Mailer: Microsoft Office Outlook 11
Does that shed any more light on the delays?
Still waiting for some more emails though.

As Josh mentioned that email actually spent all its time on the outgoing mail server (relay.plus.net) so it's unrelated to the recent problems. Thanks for the info though, we'll take a look into it. If anyone else has any other examples of this then it would appreciated if you could forward them to me.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

wuggywugrat
Grafter

Quote from: jberry
Those delays are on our relay servers so I would raise this to support.
For reference, http://www.levinecentral.com/mail_parse/default.aspx is an awesome website for this kind of thing, takes all the pain out of reading headers for delays.

So, does that mean everyone is affected by these delays on the relay servers (whatever those are)?
What exactly does "delays on the relay servers" mean to those of us who don't speak ISP?
wuggywugrat
Grafter

Cheers Bob
Sorry, I posted at the same time you did!
jberry
Grafter

What exactly does "delays on the relay servers" mean to those of us who don't speak ISP?

The relay servers are what you use when you send email (relay.plus.net or similar in your mail client). This means that delays here may affect

• You sending mail to other people

• Other customer of PlusNet/Force9 etc sending messages to you

lingbob
Grafter

Quote from: howie
Hasn't been a good year for PlusNet users has it?

In comparison to 2006, it's been an excellent year  Grin
Regards .....
nlewis65
Dabbler

What I want to know is Plusnet going to compansate us for loss of business, and don't fob me off with 'it is not a businesss account so we are not liable'. You lost our emails through blatent negligence by not putting any form of fallback in place. Surely it would've been better to set the appliance to either delay or qarrantine email until you were sure that it was all working properly.
Hawks
Grafter

Once again, Plusnet you have let your customers down very badly !  To think that, yesterday, I was thinking well of you because I suddenly realised that the awful daily spam that I (and no doubt many more of your customers) had been receiving since your last major cock-up had finally stopped arriving.  Little did I know that, in stopping the spam, you had also suceeded in stopping legitimate email messages from being delivered.  Your, no doubt well-meaning, apologies don't even come close to making up for the loss of particularly important messges sent by loved ones who are overseas and not contactable by other means.  Now it seems those so important messages have been lost for ever.  Asking the sender to re-send them is not always an option.  If you could only begin to understand the stress and heartache your latest incompetence has caused because messages that were expected didn't arrive, you would sort this sorry mess out once and for all.  By the way, it's particularly noticable that you always seem to manage to successfully deliver your (very poorly worded) message telling us customers that our monthly payment is due !  Well done Plusnet !  That's one thing you are consistent about!
grey_gorilla
Dabbler

Quote from: Bob

Rest assured that there will be a full investigation and published incident report following the occurrence of this problem.
The assurances that email had not been lost in the initial Service Status posts were based on factual evidence at the time. The email was present, visible and queued for delivery on the Critical Path boxes.
The situation changed following the roll-back of the spam appliance. Emails started to get incorrectly dropped and AIUI this included some of the stuff that we were trying to dequeue from the Critical Path boxes.

Oh, well. Brownstuff happens.
Are you going to market Josh's flame-proof suits?
Ultimately I blame the spammers....
Hawks
Grafter

It does indeed !  Clearly, you were not affected by this in quite the same way.  I truly hope that you never are.
chyporth

Can't see how to post a topic but hope someone can help. I see there have been ongoing email probs with plus.net that are supposed to be reseolved.
However I have received 500 mailer damon and mail delivery emails stating emails not delivered, however none of them are what I sent in the first place.
I can't use email without having delete loads of these first and they are coming in every 15 minutes, any advice welcome.
Mand
Grafter

Hi,
It sounds like your email address is being spoofed, and used to send spam.
Depending on what the address is turning off your catch-all address, or creating a new mailbox and deleting the affected one will help.
You can find out more here.
hulls
Grafter

Hi Chyporth
It looks like your email address has been hijacked by spammers, and until they move on you'll keep getting these.  I went through a spate of it a few months ago.
My short term solution was to set up a rule in Outlook for any returned mail to be moved to a separate folder.  Then, when I had a minute, I quickly scanned it to check that there weren't any returns for emails I'd actually sent, before deleting the lot.
If it's any consolation they tend to move on to someone else after a little while.
John
Mand
Grafter

Quote from: Hawks
Once again, Plusnet you have let your customers down very badly !  To think that, yesterday, I was thinking well of you because I suddenly realised that the awful daily spam that I (and no doubt many more of your customers) had been receiving since your last major cock-up had finally stopped arriving.  Little did I know that, in stopping the spam, you had also suceeded in stopping legitimate email messages from being delivered.  Your, no doubt well-meaning, apologies don't even come close to making up for the loss of particularly important messges sent by loved ones who are overseas and not contactable by other means.  Now it seems those so important messages have been lost for ever.  Asking the sender to re-send them is not always an option.  If you could only begin to understand the stress and heartache your latest incompetence has caused because messages that were expected didn't arrive, you would sort this sorry mess out once and for all.

I don't think anyone here would disagree with any of that, it's obvious that we have let you down in regards to email, and for that I apologise.
The Service Status asks for messages to be resent where possible, we appreciate that this is not always possible and understand your frustration.
There are still some emails queued on the 3rd party hardware, and we expect these to be delivered over the weekend.
Email is our focus internally, and I can assure you we are all working to sort this issue out once and for all. The new hardware was brought in to reduce spam that our customers receive, although I can appreciate that this means little at the moment. The incident report published next week will explain the background and the details of this issue.
Quote from: Hawks
By the way, it's particularly noticable that you always seem to manage to successfully deliver your (very poorly worded) message telling us customers that our monthly payment is due !  Well done Plusnet !  That's one thing you are consistent about!

Those are automated emails triggered by our billing system. They go through the same servers as all other email.
fezziwig
Dabbler

I reckon I lost a 100% of my e-mails over several hours. All the test e-mails I sent either from Plusnet or Hotmail or Googlemail to myself (because I suspected a problem) failed to turn up.  I am now having to e-mail a lot of friends to ask if they can re-send e-mails they may have sent..  Many people dont save their sent e-mails.  I may have lost business and share-dealing e-mails as well.  PlusNet seem to be making light of it  as if it is a minor problem.  My wife would have been unaware of this if I hadn't have told her. Many other people who dont receive many e-mails may still be unaware of this.  WHY cant PlusNet inform all customers they may have lost e-mails?  We are going to have to consider finding another provider..  Some pals say they never received my e-mails??  GET YOUR ACT TOGETHER PLUSNET.