cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

e-mail problems?

astarsolutions
Grafter

Re: e-mail problems?

But............ if you don't know that you have been sent emails (which have gone missing), why would you look at service status?

Where would you want the notification, an e-mail!
The service status is also available as an RSS feed so as soon as something happens it pops up.
waldron
Grafter

Quote from: astarsolutions
The service status is also available as an RSS feed so as soon as something happens it pops up.

Could someone explain what an RSS feed is please? Do I have to do something to get it?
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

If you have a google login you can add it to your igoogle front page, or there's a number of plugins for firefox that you can use.
Hope this helps,
waldron
Grafter

I don't have a google login, and I use Internet Explorer. Is an RSS feed still relevant?
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

An RSS feed, if you are subscribed to it (in the same way as you would be to a newsgroup) will notify you of any changes to websites that are updated frequently, ie news sites etc. If you had been subscribed to our service status feed this morning you would have been notified of the service status post within minutes of it being posted. There are standalone RSS readers available if you prefer to use IE, whether it's relevant or not is up to you - it depends on the content of the website that supplies the feed.
Hope this helps,
nlewis65
Dabbler

I am realliy p....d off with this. My wife runs an Internet busines and has lost orders because of this. I was made redundant at the begining of August and we rely on her business 100% to pay the mortgage, bills and feed my 3 children. Your original update said that "no emails will be lost" so how come we have still not had them? Can one of the Plusnet staff please explain to me why this is. I have stood by Plusnet through all the changes and problems that they have faced but Ima now seriously thinking of looking elsewhere as this sort of thing is unacceptable with so many people relying on email for both large and small businesses. I also hate to think if I have missed any job offers with this as I too lost nearly all email yesterday.
Very Disgruntled Customer.
matt_2k34
Grafter

Absolutely ridiculous.. ive missed out on alot of emails imho. i had ONE email yesturday - put it this way PN, by not having a working mail platform you certainly fixed the spam issue..
Now IVE got to sit and traul through forums (where i am an admin) to find out what has gone on where, since last time i went, rather than my usual answer what ive started. also lost notifcations of PMs.. (at least 4 emails missing -)
only emails i managed to get were service status.. so congratulations for telling me that there was an issue... just they werent the right issue.. (must of been backlogged).
xpher
Grafter

Re: No emails

Mail comimg through now. Just having probs with php form not sending me mail.
nlewis65
Dabbler

Re: Current email situation.

You say
"Email is not reliable.
That is to say that a particular message is never guaranteed to be delivered. Ever. Of course the email software will try its best to deliver a message, but it can never be relied on. It's just like sending a letter through the post."

So what is the point of having an email address and a mailbox if all your emails are going to be ditched by some an imcompetant upgrade. If the postman was caught putting all your letters in the bin he would be sacked, no pun intended. It is not feasible to have several email addresses when running a business as they will get fragmented let alone cause confusion. I am, well was before my company went bust, a network installation engineer installing Microsoft Exchange both in new installations and upgrading existing systems, if I had lost all my customers emails through a negligent mistake I would've been held liable through the data protection act and would have been dismissed. We are not really talking about the odd email going missing or being redirected to the wrong place, which I could deal with,  but nearly a whole days worth of emails going missing. This is truly unacceptable by todays standards.
Neal Lewis
Loudcrowd
chillypenguin
Grafter

I have merged Topics, lets keep all discussion in one single thread.
Jonathan
aka Chilly
itsme
Grafter

Quote from: nlewis65
If the postman was caught putting all your letters in the bin he would be sacked, no pun intended.

You pay for the postal service but you do not pay for the email service. If emails are important to you then either run your own mailserver or pay for a business email solution.
scotsgringo
Dabbler

Quote from: itsme
Quote from: nlewis65
If the postman was caught putting all your letters in the bin he would be sacked, no pun intended.

You pay for the postal service but you do not pay for the email service. If emails are important to you then either run your own mailserver or pay for a business email solution.

we pay for the whole service which includes email so get of your high horse
canford
Grafter

Piffle!

PlusNet Residential Broadband Features
Get separate, private mailboxes for your whole family
Webmail
Send and receive email wherever you are
Email
Send and receive email with IMAP, POP3 and SMTP

E-Mail isn't one of their "value added" services so it is something we pay for.
But like a previous poster mentioned if its important take it elsewhere; I know we shouldn't have to but past experience has taught us all, its necessary.
nlewis65
Dabbler

Quote from: canford

As scotsgringo has said we pay for a complete service, what is the point of paying a complete package if we can't use it. If I had the money I would shell out for a dedicated mailserver if I thought it would be as reliable but smtp is just as prone to negligent misconfigurations as pop email. All it takes is for the DNS records to be screwed up, and believe me BT do it on a regular basis, and emails will not be delivered. As previously stated we are trying to keep our head above water after being made redundant so your pathetic comments do not help. Try posting something that is worth reading.