Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

e-mail problems?

fezziwig
Dabbler

Re: e-mail problems?

The press are not being too kind...
PlusNet, the terminally scatterbrained ISP, has permanently deleted customers' email again after it bungled the installation of an anti-spam appliance, it admitted this morning.
So, if you you were sent an email that you never received by an unknown person about an unknown subject, give them a bell and tell them to send it again.
------------
That is if you are even aware there (has been) (is) a problem.  INFO from PlusNet has been ZERO. 
Mand
Grafter

We will be emailing all customers who have opted in to communications from us.
We have provided Service Status updates since the issue occurred, which is how we usually provide information to users.
We've far from covered this up, and wouldn't wish to do so.
fezziwig
Dabbler

Why should you have to opt in for vital info?  I can understand it for junk.
Anyway I get other e-mails from PlusNet but have received nothing on this fiasco so far.
I suspect most users haven't got a clue how to access your service status information and wouldn't understand all the jargon...I don't.   I would only check it if I suspected a problem.
PATHETIC. . 
As I said I suspect there are many customers, particulary light users, who are unaware that there has been (is) a problem.   I only knew because I didn't seem to getting any e-mails and then test ones failed to arrive.
Mand
Grafter

If you receive communications from us, you will receive an email next week which explains the issues.
We will also be publishing an incident report which explains the situation, without the use of jargon.
fezziwig
Dabbler

The incident did happen on Wednesday 22 Aug!   And you are only going to get around to e-mailing folks next week?Huh
I don't really think I have lost anything very important but clearly other people especially those in business have.  Only recently I was booking flights and hotel and it would have been more serious. 

coastergrotto
Grafter

Mand:
fezziwig does have a point here.    I spend quite a lot of time reading all the posts on the forum but rarely visit the Service Status Information unless I suspect something is wrong.
If I hadn't read about this problem on the forum I would have been none the wiser.

fezziwig
Dabbler

I didn't even know there was a Forum till this e-mail fiasco. 
barquerole
Grafter

Will people never learn that Plusnet cannot be trusted with email. It has always been the same year after year.
If you depend on email, then register a domain and have it hosted it elsewhere. It's not expensive and saves a lot of grief.
grey_gorilla
Dabbler

Quote from: Hawks
It does indeed !  Clearly, you were not affected by this in quite the same way.  I truly hope that you never are.

In what way were you affected that was different to how I was affected?
mikeb
Rising Star

... and not to mention plusnet.service.status on good old fashioned USENET of course  Wink 

B T Plusnet, a bit kinda like P T Barnum ...

... but quite often appears to feature more clowns Tongue
fezziwig
Dabbler

At least people would know there is a prob if they are e-mailed.
Do you expect customers to check Service Status every day?
I haven't looked for months and as I have said probably a lot of customers haven't got a clue where to look. 
Folks seem to have to come this Forum to ask if there is a prob... The info from PlusNet being so poor.
Why on earth would you ring a phone number if you didn't suspect a problem in the first place?

DavidHH
Grafter

Quote from: PJ
As has been mentioned before sending half a million e-mails to customers to explain the situation is hardly going to have improved it.

It would slow down the delivery of email, but it would warn the many customers who don't look at service status several times a day (and why should they) that messages might not be reaching them. it would give some of them a timely chance to check arrangments by phone, etc
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Then sign up to get the SS reports by email and you will know what's going on.
See here.
Clearly if the problem is email related you may not get it but it should arrive eventually so may still help.
terminal
Grafter

if you use webmail you get the following message. (on the login page)
We'd like to know what you think about our webmail system. Visit the Webmail feedback discussion on our Community Site and give us your comments!

how difficult would it be to change this to a message informing people of this problem and directing them to the service status page?
It won't inform everyone (i.e. those that don't use webmail) but it would be a start.
As has been said many times, not all users are net savvy enough to use RSS feeds, or even know about the forums, or even the status page.  And if they did, you only normally check them when you think there is a problem (slow downs, spam etc).  You wouldn't go and check just because you got fewer emails one day.
plusnet keep on telling us they are treating this incident seriously, but their attitude of "it's up to you to discover we trashed a load of your emails" does not reflect this.
pull your finger out plusnet
fezziwig
Dabbler

Remember... The customer is always right especially when he/she is wrong.