cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

e-mail problems?

Brickinit
Grafter

e-mail problems?

is there a problem with e-mails not recieved any to-day (very unusual) sent one to my-self not received. anyone else affected?
174 REPLIES 174
robcr
Grafter

Re: e-mail problems?

Yep, I am having the same problem.
Brickinit
Grafter

oops! maybe i was a bit hasty should have checked further down the posts.  Embarrassed
nlewis65
Dabbler

Current email situation.

Hi All
Does anyone have any idea as to how long the current email sitaution will last? We had an update at 21:00 and there now won't be another until 9:00 tomorrow. My wife runs an Internet business and is waiting for some important orders and order information via email. If she does not get these before tomorrow morning she may lose some of the orders which we cannot afford to do.
I have raised a ticket as well.
Regards
Neal Lewis
Loudcrowd
skylark

I'm not receiving emails either, have sent ones to myself and they have not arrived.
This is no joke when you are trying to sell something on Ebay!!
This on top of all the recent junk mail Plus net have lumbered me with means I'm about to start looking for a more reliable ISP!! Angry
fxbronte
Grafter

I am having the same problem.
terminal
Grafter

If you haven't already seen the other posts and service status, there are details here http://www.plus.net/support/service/problems/problem.php?intProblemId=45835
Having seen the service status I sent myself an email from yahoo at 20:45, not received it yet.  Just sent another one from the same account at 00:20 and it arrived almost immediately, so where has the previous one disappeared to? (I would have thought if it was a queuing problem the second one wouldn't have got through so quickly, or does it depend on which mail server it hits?)
linux
Grafter

Re: Current email situation.

Although this does not address this specific case, it is something that everybody should remember ...
Email is not reliable.
That is to say that a particular message is never guaranteed to be delivered. Ever. Of course the email software will try its best to deliver a message, but it can never be relied on. It's just like sending a letter through the post.
Thanks to ISPs' increasingly aggressive spam filters, email is becoming ever less reliable, but that's another story.
So if a business depends on reliable communication then it should not use email as its sole means of contact. There's a lot to be said for (relatively) old fashioned telephones and faxes! Of course these can fail too, but unlike email the caller will receive some immediate indication that something is wrong and can respond accordingly.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Re: Current email situation.

When I left yesterday the non-spam stuff (as the critical path box saw it I think) was set to be delivered by 8:00pm with the rest coming down over night/this morning.
I suspect that there have been further complications though in light of the phone call I received last night and the subsequent service status.
I'll find out more and provide a bit of further clarification when I get to the office.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

It may be something to do with the mail server it hits, however I'm suspicious that these problems have occurred following the maintenance yesterday morning.
We backed out the changes before I left last night so theoretically all new email should have been coming straight through. I know the on call engineer was called out when this was found not to be the case and Service Status was updated.
I can't really advise further at the moment as I'm not at the office however as soon as I get there I'll be looking to update the Service Status thread.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

terminal
Grafter

bob,
emails being sent now (just sent another test message) are getting straight through.  But the one sent at 20:45 yesterday has still not arrived, and yesterday I didn't get the daily newsletters that I usually get
RobDickson
Grafter

E-mails being sent to me this morning are arriving OK, except for fax-2-mail e-mails, which are being delayed.
Reading other people's posts, I'm amazed that anybody, especially someone running a business, relies soly on one e-mail account. As a minimum, I run two domains with two different hosts, and two accounts with two different ISPs.
clock-man

New email sent to myself this morning gets through within seconds, but I'm still waiting for several mails from two Yahoo Groups from yesterday (and how much else I can't tell). Someone else mentioned Yahoo mail delays - is Yahoo being blocked?
James
Grafter

Hi there,
We're currently investigating what the current state of play is and will report back with our findings once we have further news.
driveconsultant
Grafter

Quote from: RobDickson

Reading other people's posts, I'm amazed that anybody, especially someone running a business, relies soly on one e-mail account. As a minimum, I run two domains with two different hosts, and two accounts with two different ISPs.

How does that help when someone has already sent a message that has been delayed? Unless you know that a message has been sent and can give them an alternative address the mail will still be queued and delayed.