Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

dslchecker.bt.com question

dfects
Grafter

dslchecker.bt.com question

Hiya

a week or so ago I had a phone line fault which cut my internet speeds down to about half what they normally were. Through all that time, my speeds on the dsl checker site stayed at my normal speed as follows:

Screenshot_20160530-071733.png

Thanks to the helpful staff here, the fault was fixed and I've had 6mbps back since. Today, they're showing like this:

current.jpg

My lines absolutely fine, still getting about 6 megabits per second download.

I'm only checking this site so often as I know a new fibre cabinet is physically in place now so I'm checking for when its available.

Does anyone know how/when this site is updated? I'm wondering if it was delayed and now showing the info from when there was a fault.

6 REPLIES 6
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

Re: dslchecker.bt.com question

I think you need to take the checker figures as a rough guide as they are only estimates, some say they do change based on actual line speeds but I am not convinced. For my line on a 20CN ADSL max exchange the checker gives an estimate of "up to 2Mbps", I actually have 8128Mbps sync speed so it is just wrong in my case. Your line will run at the best speed it can no matter what the checker tells you!

dfects
Grafter

Thanks for the reply Smiley Its more that its odd that its only just changed, after 3 years of being the same. I'm also concerned it may restrict our ability to get fibre once the cabinet goes live, or what packages are available to us. 

spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

The main consideration for fibre is how far you are from the cabinet. Is that a long way?

David
dfects
Grafter

As the crow flies its about 0.5 KM to the cabinet, following roads it could be up to about 1 KM. We live in a fairly new estate adjacent to an older estate connected to another cabinet which is of similar distance. Using their details its about 40 MB on vdsl.

The thing is, when popping my details into bt's main broadband site it now states that the max I'll get on ADSL is 4 mbps, which last week it was saying 6-7 mpbs. I'm not sure if it will not offer me fibre packages if the estimates are too low?

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

The fibre estimates are nothing to do with the ADSL ones, they are totally independent. A line can have a very low ADSL line speed but full fibre speeds if the cabinet is close. So the checkers ADSL speeds are irrelevant when FTTC is available.

dfects
Grafter

Ahh sweet, I thought it might use some common line quality information for estimating both.

Thanks for your reply.