cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

dsl not connected and speed issues

welshviking
Grafter

dsl not connected and speed issues

Hi, Had no problems at all since joining plusnet from aol (i am on plusnet unlimited) anyone the last few days i have been getting dsl not connecting coming up on screen and it seems to be getting worse. Also my speed has gone down from in between 3.7 - 4.0mb to 1.3mb...very poor....Thanks Colin
p.s i am not very technically minded so please be gentle with me
90 REPLIES 90
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: dsl not connected and speed issues

How long have you been connected to PlusNet now? Have you been leaving the Modem/Router on 24/7?
Can you post the current ADSL line stats - Sync (connection) speed, Attenuation, Noise Margin (SNRM) and Power, both Downstream (DS) and Upstream (US).
See here http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/frogstats.php for help to get the stats.
If you've not been keeping the Router on 24/7 (not the computer), switch it on in the morning and leave it on 24/7 for the time being until will got a better feel for what is going on.
Edit: Though having said that, there is Thunder/lightning predicted for many areas today, if you have any or are likely to get any near you or your exchange, best to switch off before it gets to you.
welshviking
Grafter

Cheers for the reply , my router is on virtually constant but my speed is getting slower and slower down to 1.1mb now which too be honest is pathetic, as for the link you gave me i cannot find my wireless router on the list (thomson tg585 v7)....sorry i cannot be more precise but as i mentioned i am not very good with computers...Thanks Colin
adie:quote
welshviking
Grafter

L Connection
Link Information
Uptime: 0 days, 7:14:55
DSL Type: G.992.1 annex A
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 448 / 3,392
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/kB]: 0.00 / 0.00
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 11.5 / 19.5
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 19.0 / 35.0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 20.0 / 15.5
Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / ALCB
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 19 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 60 / 90,113
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 60 / 3,158
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 40 / 2,826
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

When you say your speed is down to 1.1 how are you testing it.
What does this say for current line speed https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
welshviking
Grafter

Phone exchange:
CONNAHS QUAY
Estimated line speed:
4.0 Mbps - Checked on 2009-04-04 17:29:32
Current line speed:

I have used speedtest.net to check my speed, plus a couple of other sites since joining plusnet and have always got 3mb+..this is what i have today
url=http://www.mybroadbandspeed.co.uk][/url]

This is one from April just proving how dramatically my speed has dropped lately
Oldjim
Resting Legend

This is what has done the damage
Current line speed:
This means that at some point in the last couple of days your sync speed has dropped to around 1500kbps (I can't remember the exact range).
The fact that you are now reporting 3,392 with a 15.5dB noise margin indicates that something is badly adrift. With an attenuation of 35dB you should be getting much better results than that.
The first thing to do is to get your local wiring out of the picture.
Can you connect the router to the test socket (the one behind the removable lower faceplate of the master socket) with nothing else connected and report the stats - we only need the following
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]:  448 / 3,392
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]:  19.0 / 35.0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]:  20.0 / 15.5

welshviking
Grafter

Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 448 / 3,776
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 18.0 / 31.0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 21.0 / 15.0
Oldjim
Resting Legend

The first and most important point to note is that the reported attenuation has dropped from 35dB to 31dB - this is a major change and shouldn't happen.
Can you describe the telephone wiring setup in your house - you can attach pictures by using the additional options button when you post.
The fact that your default noise margin is 15dB indicates that the automatic systems in the exchange have seen a lot of errors or frequent losses of sync.
Once you have described your wiring we will need to investigate further.
welshviking
Grafter

The main socket is right next to my pc, that goes to a socket in the kitchen (1 phone attached) it goes to the 1 socket in the lounge (1 phone attached) and onto upstairs master bedroom (1 phone attached) i could take photos but all sockets are standard sockets with filters on each as asked for when i joined plusnet........Thanks for your help anyway forgot to mention that earlier
welshviking
Grafter

Hi Jim, We will have to carry this fault finding problem tomorrow night as i am going to bed as i am on a 12 hour early shift in the morning, thanks for your help...Regards Colin
Oldjim
Resting Legend

When you have a chance can you post a picture of the inside of the master socket showing the wires attached to the removable faceplate
welshviking
Grafter

Here we go Jim.....
Oldjim
Resting Legend

That looks a bit odd for two reasons -
normally only 2 or 3 wires are usually connected - the ones you need are the ones to 2 and 5  and the third is the ring wire but you have got two others
the wire colour codes don't look right either
Can you wait until our resident expert Anotherone comes along.
But in the meantime have a look at the other sockets in the house and note which wires are connected to where.
One thing I would definitely recommend, as you have the router next to the master socket is to buy an ADSLNation filtered faceplate and a cheap insertion tool for the wires http://www.adslnation.com/phpapps/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=34&products_id=93
This will almost certainly help with the problems but the fact that your attenuation dropped so much would point to a wiring problem which examining the other connections may shed some light on.
welshviking
Grafter

Thanks Jim, Totally confused as the wires have been like this since i have lived here (5 years) and i have not really had a problem, there is a BT ISDN 2e connected below the master socket but i was told it had been disconnected , plus i would not know what t do with it anyway...Cheers anyway...Colin