Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

drj - speed problem split off

drj
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Re: drj - speed problem split off

Quote from: jelv
you should be able to work out when from the up time in the Wan Status. If that was during daylight don't do another one - just leave it well alone and on 24x7 to see where it settles.

Yes - it looks like it happened just about 11am shortly after she posted. I'm leaving everything well alone...
drj
Aspiring Pro

This morning I find there was a reconnection at 5.48 - and a speedtest just done was a lot less peaky though speed is as usual

What I don't understand is the difference between the router reporting a "down" speed of 3936000 but the Speedtest only being around 2.0. Previously they've been a lot closer.
EDIT - some websites - curiously forums it seems - are also slow. This posting took around 30 seconds to happen.
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

I see in the "WAN Status" section of your router stats it has a "Drop PPPoE" button. If you change the connection type to PPPoA, you may (or may not!) notice a difference.
drj
Aspiring Pro

Noted thanks - but I'm leaving everything as is just for now.
drj
Aspiring Pro

I was unexpectedly away from home for the last few days and have only just returned.
The results are now significantly poorer than previously:

drj
Aspiring Pro

UPDATE - shortly after I posted that someone rang up and the connection failed - after it reconnected it's pathetic!

RPMozley
Pro
Fixes: 13

Umm... Just out of curiosity, is there an option to switch from PPPoE to PPPoA with that modem/router? Or is that stats page just mislabelling it?
That's RPM to you!!
drj
Aspiring Pro

Yes - on the basic set-up page - see attached. When it was initially set up for me they put it on that setting.
I haven't altered anything presently pending understanding what the situation is. It seems to be losing connection at least once a day presently - certainly once yesterday and once overnight.
RPMozley
Pro

"They" as in PlusNet customer services? I don't know what they were thinking as ADSL has always been PPPoA in the UK.
I'm not entirely sure but I think that might cause more errors on your connection. Whether or not that accounts for the disconnections it's not clear but changing it to the right setting won't make it any worse.
That's RPM to you!!
drj
Aspiring Pro

They as the person who installed my router in my house when I was on Orange.
RPMozley
Pro

Ah, I see, some simple cheap installer no doubt. A simple mistake for anyone that doesn't really know what they're doing. Most modem/routers have the default as PPPoE (for use in other countries).
That's RPM to you!!
drj
Aspiring Pro

Don't laugh - it was my brother - he used to run an IT installation and management company!  He gave me one of his cast-offs! Free installation!
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

As well as changing it to PPPoA can you also set your encapsulation to VC based? Smiley
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

JoJo,
I was trying to find where those settings are specified in the help pages but couldn't find them. I'm sure they used to be there somewhere!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
RPMozley
Pro

Ah jelv, just found the page here. The link is on the router setup guides page, at the top in brackets "I just need the connection settings"
That's RPM to you!!