cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

drj - router/speeds - upgrade for current Plusnet broadband?

drj
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

drj - router/speeds - upgrade for current Plusnet broadband?

EDIT - I originally posted this in the "Unlimited/Essentials product launch December 2012" since I didn't know whether the new router being offered would improve speed.

Apologies for a rather long post - I'm currently on Value deliberately taken out not on contract but I can't say I'm unhappy with Plusnet which was the initial reason and I've been here nearly two years now.
I am confused by the FAQ entry:

Do I get a new router if I upgrade?
    This depends on the equipment you currently have and the product you are moving to
    e.g. If moving from an old ‘Up to 8Mbps’ product to an ‘Up to 16Mbps’ product then a
    router will be offered. You can find out if you’re eligible for a router by completing the
    first few stages of the account upgrade process.

I don't know whether I'm on an ‘Up to 8Mbps’ product to an ‘Up to 16Mbps’ and can't find it in My Account.
I've started the sign-up procedure to see what it says - and got this:

Hardware supplied before April 2007 may not work with ADSL2+.
    Need hardware? Get a free router if you stay with us for 12 months

I'm currently using an elderly "hand-me-down" router which reports its details thus:

Model: Vigor2600V series annex A
    Firmware Version: v2.5.5.3_UK
    Build Date/Time: Fri Dec 31 10:29:19.35 2004

The sign-up page also notes:
    Your Broadband speed
    Current product:    3Mb (down) / 1Mb(up)
    New product:    3Mb

... but currently a Speedtest shows:

... though that's reporting a lower than usual upload speed - it's usually more like:

So the basic questions I'd like your opinions on please are "Do I need a new router?" and "Will it get me a speed closer to 3Mb (or more!)?"
At present watching videos is difficult at times. I'm looking to upgrade to a Smart TV so Plusnet going unlimited is just I've been waiting for - but is my line too slow in any case to cope with streaming TV and hence I might as well stay with the 10GB capped service since I usually use no more than about 4GB?
(Please note that I realise the low speed might be something else - I was intending to report it a few months ago but never got round to it after moving the router so it was plugged directly into the master socket - which made no difference whatsoever)
[Moderator's note by Jim (Oldjim)  title changed when split off ]

14 REPLIES 14
drj
Aspiring Pro

Re: Unlimited/Essentials product launch December 2012

By the way clicking on the "More info" link on the modem selection page doesn't do anything on my machine
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Can you post the full stats as reported by your router - I think it's on the Online Status page.
Also can you go to http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome and put in your telephone number and post the full results (remove your phone number).
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
drj
Aspiring Pro

I didn't particularly want to clutter up this topic but I'll post that data:
Here's the pertinent part of the Availability Checker:
For Telephone Number 01452xxxxxx on Exchange GLOUCESTER
Your exchange is ADSL enabled, and our initial test on your line indicates that your line should be able to have an ADSL broadband service that provides a fixed line speed up to 2Mbps.
Our test also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL Max broadband line speed of 3Mbps; typically the line speed would range between 2Mbps and 4Mbps.
Our test also indicates that your line should be able to have an ADSL2+ broadband service that provides a fixed line speed up to 2Mbps.
Our test also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL2+ broadband line speed of 3Mbps; typically the line speed would range between 1.5Mbps and 5.5Mbps. Our test also indicates that your line could support an estimated ADSL 2+ Annex-M broadband upstream line speed of 500Kbps and downstream line speed of 3Mbps; typically the downstream speed would range between 1.5Mbps and 5.5Mbps.

I don't understand most of that!  Smiley
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: drj - router/speeds

Split off, moved and title changed as really nothing to do with the new products
Oldjim
Resting Legend

If I am reading your router stats correctly then your speeds are
Down 2304kbps
Up 160 kbps
Something is badly wrong
With that attenuation you should be getting much better download speeds and also the upload speed is horrible
Do you have a test socket - if you do can you try the router in that and report the stats
drj
Aspiring Pro

No test socket - it's an old style master socket.
As I said it's not normally that bad on upload but has been that low quite often in the last month or two.
I did try to solve this issue early in 2012 but at that time didn't have the router plugged into the master socket which is very inconveniently located in the kitchen. It is now, hung on the dining room wall from where the lead will just reach through the door, with my hard-wired connection going across the floor to the computer in the other corner...
drj
Aspiring Pro

Quote from: Oldjim
Split off, moved and title changed as really nothing to do with the new products

It did to a certain extent since it's suggesting I might need a new router.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

With those speeds you will still be on ADSL1 so you won't need a new router - it is only if your speeds get up to or above 4,500kbps would it be a possibility.
However that router is not ADSL2+ compatible http://support.zen.co.uk/kb/KnowledgebaseArticle.aspx?articleid=10008
So if we can sort out your problem and get speeds nearer to what you should be then a new router would be a good idea.
A further point - changing the product you are on will not move you from up to 8mbit to up to 16Mb as you will already be on up to 16Mb except with very slow speeds
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Re: drj - router/speeds - upgrade for current Plusnet broadband?

Regarding the low upload speeds - have you tried the quiet line test - Dial 17070 option 2 and it should be virtually silent
drj
Aspiring Pro

Not heard about that one before - you didn't say whether with router still connected or not. Anyway I left it connected and it sounded like someone was rustling paper at the other end.
drj
Aspiring Pro

I've got a very dodgy looking box on the wall high up where the overhead line hits the house. Perhaps that need attention?
jelv
Seasoned Hero

I'd suggest getting a new router straight away and then go from there - I think it is likely that you are already on 21CN and your router is holding things back. We'll also be in a better position to look at the stats and errors if you have a new router.
drj
Aspiring Pro

Update - here's the current situation after a router reboot yesterday after wifi stopped working - the download figure was quite peaky however:

The question re a new router is, since it looks like I'll have to go onto contract owing to the current price differential between contract and non-contract should I go with PlusNet's "free" router or buy a better one?

jelv
Seasoned Hero

If you are going on to contract anyway getting the free router is only going to cost you the postage. If it works you've won and if say the wireless performance turns out to be an issue you won't have lost much if you have to buy another - but you then have a spare for emergencies or fault diagnosis.