cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

drivenout issue (was:New customer-speed ok but some websites simply not opening)

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Re: drivenout issue (was:New customer-speed ok but some websites simply not opening)

I'm just looking into this now.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
drivenout
Dabbler

Re: drivenout issue (was:New customer-speed ok but some websites simply not opening)

I'm really trying to be patient here and not be one of these people on this forum that makes wild demands, but it is now a week since i should have originally been connected and i still don't even have something equivalent to the lousy service I had at EE, in fact as of this morning i have nothing...
As of last night i still had the same issue of some pages not loading at all some loading super quick and some loading eventually. This morning i have no broadband or internet light on my router and therefore no connection. Looking at 'my questions' section it looks like someone has tried to order me a new router, then deleted it, then started the process again but as i haven't had any contact from plusnet yet (apart from to helpfully tell me prices are going up) this is pure speculation from a little research on my part.
Would it be possible to please get some sort of plusnet staff update on this? The guys (and gals) on here are great for trying to diagnose issues but there's only so much they can do without access to the account information that staff have. My PN username is the same as my forum one.
Thanks again for the help.
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Sorry to hear the connection has gone down completely.
Our tests are finding a fault at the exchange which I've raised on Question 107877216.
We'll get that fixed as soon as we can.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
drivenout
Dabbler

Hi Matthew, thanks for your reply.
I'm assuming this is a plusnet issue? Is it in anyway related to my original issue? In all the time we've stayed at our flat (~5 years)  we've never had exchange issues that have knocked out the broadband so its unlikely to be a coincidence. The ticket also says next action 25th! Does this mean this is when you think it will be fixed or worse this is when it will be first looked at?
Did you get any further with original other issue you started looking at on Monday? Any more info on why a new router seems to have been 'created' on my account?
I'm getting a bit frustrated with what i thought would be a pretty simple switch to Plusnet.
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

It's not a Plusnet issue at the exchange as we don't have any of our own equipment. Unfortunately I think this is just a bad coincidence.
It can take our suppliers up to 72 hours to investigate so we put the fault on hold until then. It could get picked up sooner but I can't promise anything.
The new router being created was me. Essentially I deleted your router and rebuilt it. Once the connections back up you'll need to reset your router to pick the changes up.
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
drivenout
Dabbler

Thanks for the clarification. My first reaction to this was "cool I didn't know you could do that".
I had stupidly assumed it was a physical thing but this makes more sense and hopefully this will fix the problem. Did you find anything amiss or is this a standard progression in the fault finding? Will I be able to tell when the issue might be fixed, i.e. broadband light on, or will I need to wait for a note from PN before restarting the router?
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

You shouldn't have to do anything ideally as when the exchange fault is fixed you should come back online.
Once it's back online then you can reset the router.
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Quote from: Matthew
The new router being created was me. Essentially I deleted your router and rebuilt it. Once the connections back up you'll need to reset your router to pick the changes up.

Hi Matthew,
For the benefit of those of us who spend a lot if time around here trying to help those in difficulty, can you provide a clear explanation of what has being going on with this, connect to some sites but not others, issue please?  There have been various suggestions of a MTU size issue, but this case seems not to match this profile.  So...
1. What is the technical issue
2. What is the scope of the problem (router profile / firmware version / serial nos?) so that candidates can be qualified in / out
3. What is the fix (rebuild?) that you performed?  For example does this cause a firmware update?
If this is deemed commercially sensitive, can it be shared privately with the bright sparks so that we know what to watch for, as this thread has rattled around for a few days with us trying to help the OP but not getting very far.
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

I don't believe there was an MTU issue with ADSL 2704n's that were sent out initially, unless there was a bad batch in between, but an explanation from Matthew would be a great help.
I had heard that there was a faulty batch but not specifically MTU related, but not heard exactly what the issue was, some users have had a firmware update, but again not heard what it's supposed to fix.
I assume that Matthew's "rebuild" will cause the modem/router to be updated to the 7.275.2_F2704N_Plusnet firmware version (ie. version 2).
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Right, apologies, retracting the above about MTU  Embarrassed
I'd forgotten I'd set my system up with a lower than 1492 MTU which the 2704n v1 does seem use if you go on-line without using the tr069 ACS.
It would be nice to be told what changes the ACS will now make for customers that use it.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

There were some MTU issues, however we don't need to send a new build down a factory reset of the router will pull that from the ACS I believe.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Quote from: Chris
... I believe.

Chris,
Is it possible to obtain chapter and verse on this please?
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

drivenout
Dabbler

Just to update everyone that's been kindly helping me...
Good news - after Matthew said he'd done a router update/rebuild and after the 'repair' to the cabinet, I switched the router off and on again as requested (note i did not factory reset as is mentioned in Chris's most recent post). This appears to have sorted the problem and everything seems to be working for now.
Bad/Odd News - I am concerned that no-one seems to be happy to 'own up' to what the problem actually was if they know, or at least say that they don't know, they tried a load of things and it seems to have sorted it out; these things happen, that at least would be an answer. Instead i receive the following (names removed but if anything else needs removed to make it forum worthy go ahead).
"Dear #####,
I have tested the line today and have been unable to find any present fault.
I can see that after your had done the tests we advised you to carry out your connection became very stable again.
This would suggest either the micro filter, some item of equipment or internal wiring on your end was the cause of the issue.
Please continue to monitor the connection your end and if you still have disconnections after returning the router to its original position then you may want to consider replacing any devices you have connected to the line or having your internal wiring checked by an electrician or independent telephone engineer.
Please do not hesitate to get back in touch online at http://contactus.plus.net or by phone on 0800 432 0200 or 0345 140 0200 if we can be of further assistance."
I am happy to keep an open mind and accept this is an automated mail, but to me this strongly insinuates that the problem was my fault and if it happens again i will need to (at my cost) bring someone in to look at my wiring or hardware. This could not be further from the truth. I have added my own comment to the question but to repeat myself here for the avoidance of doubt with a suitable excerpt of my reply...
" I would like to state this is not the case and at no point was i asked to change anything about my hardware apart from resetting the router, which i did. I did not change the micro filter and have never had any issues with internal wiring with any other broadband supplier in all the years I have stayed at my property.
A member of staff remotely rebuilt my router which is the only thing that has fixed the problem which was solely due to plusnet hardware/software/firmware or a combination thereof. An additional fault appeared to cut off my connection completely which was fixed by a BTOR engineer at plusnet's expense, again I have had no issues with any other supplier, this is purely a Plusnet problem.
If any further issues occur i will be in touch, the staff and volunteers on the forum have been wonderful and their efforts should be commended, although it would be good if you could state what my issue actually was that required a router rebuild as it appears to be one that crops up a lot.
Regards
"
I am also getting e-mails about issues with my BB service (even though there isn't any) and there have been loads of questions generated on my account about switching to 21C network, but i don't know if any of that is related to this.
Unless I'm asked to check anything else (I'll monitor this thread) or the error re-occurs I will leave it at that. I have to say despite the issues, the fact that Plusnet make so much more information available to customers is to be commended (although is a poisoned chalice when things go wrong) and the help from the forum has been much better than i have experienced elsewhere. It's the reason i moved over and hopefully will keep me here beyond my introductory price period.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Quote from: drivenout
there have been loads of questions generated on my account about switching to 21C network, but i don't know if any of that is related to this.

Based on the stats provided in the opening post, you were already on the 21CN network.  I can only guess that your service has been "rebuilt" in the exchange and these records are a consequence of the rebuild process.
Kevin

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Good news - after Matthew said he'd done a router update/rebuild and after the 'repair' to the cabinet, I switched the router off and on again as requested (note i did not factory reset as is mentioned in Chris's most recent post). This appears to have sorted the problem and everything seems to be working for now.

Us pushing the update would have had the same effect as a factory reset, ensuring the router has the correct information.
Quote from: Townman
Chris,
Is it possible to obtain chapter and verse on this please?
Kevin

Not much to add really, I'm not 100% sure what the issue is but either a factory reset or pushing the details back to the router fixes it.
I am also getting e-mails about issues with my BB service (even though there isn't any) and there have been loads of questions generated on my account about switching to 21C network, but i don't know if any of that is related to this.

That can happen depending on whether we've performed an SNR reset, DLM alterations or a modify order. The modify orders will definitely do that, the DLM I've seen do that and the SNR reset shouldn't do that.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.