cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

download spped nosedived

blackwatch1939
Hooked

download spped nosedived

Last three weeks have been getting at worst 0.23 download, then sometimes it will spike to 4.74 briefly(couple of minutes), and can get anything in-between. Two helpdesk call later and no better. Have changed router, but no better. Bt line checker says our line is 0.1to 0.5 . We were getting around 3.74 constant prior to this.

8 REPLIES 8
MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

Re: download spped nosedived

At the time of you writing this, your line was looking unstable. As a result, dynamic line management (DLM) limited the speeds on your profile to try and make your connection a little more stable. Yesterday my colleague made a couple of changes to your line which should help your speeds return. Let me know if this hasn't improved things for you and we'll investigate further.

Matty

ex-Plusnet staffer. Any posts after 28/07/2017 aren't on behalf of Plusnet
blackwatch1939
Hooked

Good evening, as I type tonight I have had enough of this pathetic download speed. Using BT's own line speed checker on a daily basis since Sunday when the changes were implemented, they have not gone above 1meg download. It is at minute averaging at about 0.5 or less which is pathetic. Yes I know we were told that it would take up to  10 days to stabilise, but given that nothing has remotely shown any signs of improving, I find this hard to believe. Please come up with an alternative plan to resume normal service that doesn't involve me being patient anymore, as I feel I have been more than patient over the last month of frustration.

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Something is definitely not right, with the attenuation and the SNR margin on your line I'd expect a much higher sync speed than 608.

Upstream DSL Link Information Downstream DSL Link Information
Loop Loss: 29.0 42.5
SNR Margin: 11.8 6.0
Errored Seconds: 0 173
HEC Errors: 0  
Cell Count: 23953 424279
Speed: 800 608

Maximum Stable Rate (KBPS): 5120 Fault Threshold Rate (KBPS): 4096
Mean Time Between Retrains (Seconds): 53100 Mean Time Between Errors Upstream (Seconds): 1062
Indicative Line Quality: A Mean Time Between Errors Downstream (Seconds): 114

Are you plugged directly in to the master socket, no extension leads through a single filter (not needed if it's a filtered faceplate)? Is there any noise on the phone line when you dial 17070?

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
blackwatch1939
Hooked

Hi

We are using a proper telephone extension which is wired into the BT socket outside the house(Same one the master socket into the house is connected from.

We have used the extension for the last few years as the broadband was terrible when using the master socket.\incidentally the phone works fine in the master socket.

To your question on line noise after dialling 17070 seems fine. Last Sunday, after the changes were set in place whilst I  was still on the phone, I did a speed test and it came in at  something like 4.74 download. That lasted all of a minute, then plummeted right down to 0.5 or less which is more or less where it has stayed.

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

We need you to connect the router to the master socket as if a engineer goes out and the extension turns out to be faulty you would be charged a fee of £60.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
blackwatch1939
Hooked

Hi

Have relocated the router into the master socket and then run the BTW line test which came back with download speed at 4.46. Looks like there is an issue with the extension, however as there has been issues with the master socket in the past hence why we moved the router upstairs, I am optimistically cautious at the moment. 

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

I'd recommend monitoring it for a couple of days in the master socket.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
blackwatch1939
Hooked

Will do, thanks  for your help Matthew .