cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

download speed dropped to 350kbps from 2.7mb - could you please reset this?

mattdj
Dabbler

download speed dropped to 350kbps from 2.7mb - could you please reset this?

Hi,
Could someone take a look at my broadband service? the download speed has been drastically reduced from around 2.7mb to 350k
Seems to have happened around the same time as this post http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,88504.0.html
Have read a few posts that say there's an automatic system doing this if the line drops alot?? but my line had never dropped while i was using it.
Cheers
21 REPLIES 21
mattdj
Dabbler

Re: down speed has been set to 350kbps

also, forgot to mention as with the post i linked to I have logged a fault report buy not heard anything.....
mattdj
Dabbler

Re: download speed dropped to 350kbps from 2.7mb - could you please reset this?

Any chance someone from plusnet could take a look or just reset it? I'm seen that offered in other posts.
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 4

Hi,
I've just run a quick test on the line to see if I can see anything obvious wrong. The test is indicating that the line has lost sync a few times and there are some errors on the line which the equipment at the exchange has seen and believes the line to be unstable. In order to improve the stability the system will decrease the speed on the line. In this case the speed has dropped down below 576kbps hence the 350k speeds you're seeing. You're not connected at the moment so I can't do the full tests.
Do you switch your router off when you aren't using it? The connection logs show it's dropping out a bit so if you say it doesn't drop it might be that turning the router off is causing the problems as the exchange side systems can't always tell the difference between the connection dropping and you switching the router off. Today it dropped at 11:23, 15:18 and 18:15, do they tally with when you were using it or switching the router off/on?
Dave Tomlinson
Enterprise Architect - Network & OSS
Plusnet Technology
mattdj
Dabbler

Hi Dave thanks for taking a look.
I don't leave my router on, I turn it on when i need to use it and then turn it off again.
Those times could have been when i tried rebooting the router and then the last one would have been when i turned it off.
The service had been brilliant at well over 2mb since i changed my package.
Cheers,
Matt
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi mattdj,
It looks like you've been banded. I have escalated your fault as it has not been updated and would expect some sort of action today. There's not much i can do but leave it up to the faults team for the moment.
Jojo Smiley
mattdj
Dabbler

Thanks Jojo  Smiley
madfruit
Dabbler

Sorry to hijack, but this sounds like a similar problem to mine, my connection speed is now a consistant 0.32mbps.  I also turn off my router when I am not using it.  I have logged a ticket ID 35014430 - which I logged on Friday and have yet to have a human response.  Perhaps you could have a peek at mine too and confirm if the same thing has happened to me?
Regards,
MF.
mattdj
Dabbler

Hi Jojo/Dave,
There's not been any update on the fault i logged, do you think you could give them a nudge? Smiley
Cheers,
matt
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi mattdj,
Sorry for the delay, your fault is currently being looked at and you will receive an update shortly.
Thank you for your patience.
Jojo Smiley
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi madfruit,
I have also highlighted that you are waiting for an update through our escalated process. There are some backlogs at the moment so I do apologise for this and thank you for your patience in this matter.
Jojo Smiley
mattdj
Dabbler

Thanks jojo,
someone has updated the ticket, unfortunately It doesn't look like they had read any of the comments or the fault report though.

He's added a graph which shows when the line is supposed to have dropped and it corresponds to when i have rebooted or turned off the router exactly, I don't want to leave my router on 24/7. It just seems like this system of automatically lowering the speed is too sensitive in this instance.
can it be turned off? Smiley

Cheers,
Matt
pierre_pierre
Grafter

if you must turn it off, try and switch it on in the morning, between about  9:00 and 2 in the afternoon.
Never turn it on after 2 as you will get a lousy synch speed
Thats up to you
mattdj
Dabbler

Never turn it on after 2 as you will get a lousy synch speed

That sounds quite ridiculous Smiley
Nevermind, I'll see how it goes, after 2 is exactly when it needs to be switched off.
Will probably end up switching to mobile only if I have to keep going through a weeks worth of support tickets each time it gets 'rebanded', getting faster downloads on mobile now and it about the same price.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

if you look at the previous line it is two in the afternoon
and the reply from Dave said that is just what you are doing, and two close together which again is bad practice
Today it dropped at 11:23, 15:18 and 18:15,