cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

download speed dropped drastically after exchange 'repair'

agedf9
Hooked

download speed dropped drastically after exchange 'repair'

Following some recent outages, my download speed has reduced to a crawl, only 0.4Mbps.

Normal down speed is around 6.6Mbps.

Tested using test socket plus filter, cable to router, network cable to pc.

PN UserTools info pages give these as the latest outages:

ADSL :[RHYNIE MDF AND TRANS EQMT IN RCC]: MUX 101 : LOSS OF SERVICE

Update Number

FINAL

Detected

14/10/2016 22:23

Started

14/10/2016 22:18

Actual Clear Time:

15/10/2016 00:40

Area Codes

01464, 01491, To Fo

ADSL : RHYNIE : MUX 101 : LOSS OF SERVICE (CI)

Update Number

INITIAL/FINAL

Detected

15/10/2016 09:51

Started

15/10/2016 09:51

Actual Clear Time:

15/10/2016 10:01

Area Codes

01464, 01503

There was a major outage around 18th/19th Sept and more since – MUX 101 always being the culprit.   Always shows as line sync ok but unable to login to PN (or other ISPs, my neighbours tell me…)

RouterStats was running on 15th and the ‘Fault Clear’ at 1001 showed up for me as a huge spike in Noise Margin and drop in Sync Speed – returned to normal levels shortly after that.   Aound 1115 I realised speed was reduced so ran speed tests with BTW and ‘thinkbroadbandUK’ – both gave down speed as 0.3 or 0.4 Mbps.   BTW ‘further diagnostics’ reported speed again but just said there were errors so no further info available.

The link (from dvorak’s page) to PN speed test gave:

Phone exchange:   RHYNIE

Estimated line speed:

11Mb (This may vary between 6.4Mb and 11.5Mb) - Checked on 2016-09-23 00:47:17

Current line speed:

0.5 Mb

RouterStats gives:

Down

Noise Margin:     15.3 dB

Connection Rate: 8096 Kbps

Line Attenuation: 29.0 dB

Up

Noise Margin:     23.0 dB

Connection Rate: 448   Kbps

Line Attenuation: 15.0 dB

Gateway info:

You are currently connected to gateway pcl-ag04.   This is located in City Lifeline House.

My problem reported using PN troubleshooter, Question #136046496 at 1220 on 15th.  

It’s ‘escalated to the correct team for review’ apparently – but no follow-up posts yet.

I’d actually like BT to fix the exchange please !!!   Or otherwise restore my download speed....

Anybody know how to make that happen?

7 REPLIES 7
DanDanDan
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

Re: download speed dropped drastically after exchange 'repair'

Sorry for the stupid question, but did you reboot the router after the outage happened?

You will definitely have a bad time if they do any type of exchange works and your connection doesn't refresh afterwards. 

p.s. I see you said you tested in the test socket, I just wanted to make sure you weren't already there. 

agedf9
Hooked

Well yes I did - it's in the BTW test protocol....

A total of three reboots over the period - late on 14th....1115 on 15th....0900 on 16th - trying to get connection back without too many reboots upsetting things, as you do.

(I didn't find the 'exchange checker' tool until yesterday, 17th)

This speed is so bad it's almost back to the days of dial-up modem connections.... yes I have been around that long!   It's only recently that things have deteriorated to the point that this looks like the only way to get some info - helpline wait for 45 mins or more, chat service 'unavailable'.... can't hang around for that, I have a full-time job and try to have a life as well !

JayG
Pro
Fixes: 6

Main problem (might not be the only one) appears to be the PlusNet line speed stuck at 0.5Mbps.

Yours is a 20CN connection, and it's been mentioned several times that automatic updating of that figure can take 3 days, which is more or less how long it's been since the exchange fault was logged as rectified.

You may find things back to normal later today, although as ever it would be helpful if one of the CST would check it over for you in the meantime.

agedf9
Hooked

Thanks JayG

I wasn't sure whether to expect a gradual ramp-up in speed or a step-change...?

Either would be welcome !

However, the previous outages were resolved and my speed came back immediately.   Not so this time.   That's why i'm a bit worried...

agedf9
Hooked

OK, back home after unexpected overnight business trip (yeah, life as a service techie...) - tested speed at 8pm, still pants.    Email from PN ref the logged issue - they posted the results of their line check which was all ok.   Well I knew it would be as my RouterStats tells much the same story - clearly they can't measure my download speed.....   Now I know rebooting router too frequently is not a good thing so I've been holding off - but now (11pm) seemed like a good time so I unplugged, waited, re-plugged.   Router reconnected with usual sync speed, attenuation, noise margin.   Opened browser to speedtest web page, immediate response was promising, ran test - good result, speeds back to normal.

The thing is, the speeds didn't change at all (until the reboot) so there was no element of 'training' - and I'm pretty certain the status was always 'showtime' after internet access was restored.

So -  how to tell when to reboot and when to hold off ?

JayG
Pro
Fixes: 6

Presumably the PlusNet Current Line speed now reflects your improved throughput, but shouldn't have needed a router reset to pick it up.

Rebooting after dark can cause lower rather than higher connection rates due to increased noise, although it can result in improved stability when the noise margins improve during daylight hours.

Are your SNRM figures exactly the same as before, bearing in mind they will vary at different times of the day?

'Graceful' disconnects (as described many times by @Anotherone) by clicking the 'disconnect' button (if available) on your router's GUI prior to pulling the plug on it should avoid any problems with exchange monitoring - all a bit of a mystery to me but ADSL sometimes moves in very mysterious ways, so I'd say if in doubt, reboot (gracefully if possible.) Wink

agedf9
Hooked

I agree, shouldn't have needed a router reset.... As for timing, well it was a long day and it was dark when I got home!   I take your point about using 'disconnect' before reset or power cycle - bit like exiting from windows before turning pc off.

AFAICS the SNRM is exactly the same.   It used to vary when I had local filter and short cable to router - but now I have filtered faceplate and longer cable to router, it's slightly higher but very stable regardless of day/night.   Mysterious indeed.

Thanks for your input.