Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

download speed 2207 Kbps, IP profile 7114 Kbps

jaymiethomas
Dabbler

download speed 2207 Kbps, IP profile 7114 Kbps

Hi y'all.
Last Saturday my broadband connection was unavailable for a few hours.  When it came back on, my upload speed had doubled - yay!  I assume BT have finally upgraded my exchange to 21CN.  However, since that time, my IP profile has been 7,114kbps but my download speed has been around 2,207kbps.
I raised this with Plusnet support by phone on Tuesday night, allowing 72 hours from Saturday's outage for the system to correct itself, but there was a problem with the Broadband Troubleshooter tool itself and my support agent couldn't raise the fault until he'd seen the development team the next day.  The next day, I could also raise the problem via the Broadband Troubleshooter - but nothing appeared in my Open Questions and I've heard nothing since.
Could someone at Plusnet take a look at my account and see if something needs a nudge to get back in sync?
Thanks in advance.
7 REPLIES 7
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: download speed 2207 Kbps, IP profile 7114 Kbps

I would expect an open question to appear if you successfully submitted a fault report. Since there isn't one possibly it didn't register as completed. If you try again does it return you to the (incomplete) report?
Since incomplete fault reports are closed after two days it might no longer be there, in which case you would have to submit another one.
Checking Closed tickets in the last 7 days (click the Go button) might display the closed fault.
David
jaymiethomas
Dabbler

Thanks spraxyt. There are no closed questions either, but I'm less worried about that bit. If I've raised the matter by phone, someone should've looked into this already and gotten back to me. One week in and my download speed issues remain.  Undecided
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

If the faults team needed to take action I think a fault report is required to support raising the fault with BT. It's unfortunate that one does not appear to have been raised.
I assume your BT IP Profile is still 7114kbps. Does Current line speed on this Member Centre page show a value of 7100kbps, or a much smaller value?
If the value is correct, and speeds are still low I suggest disconnecting from Plusnet using the router's web interface, then reconnecting again. Note that this does not cause a re-sync with the exchange so can be tried whenever convenient. Check speeds again afterwards.
If Current line speed is around 2500kbps you could try a single restart/re-sync of the router (during daylight hours to get the best sync speed). The new style profiles appear to be coming through in a matter of hours now so hopefully this would fix the problem.
If it doesn't I think a low speed fault report does need to be raised. Sad
David
David
jaymiethomas
Dabbler

Thanks David. I raised a support ticket via the Broadband Troubleshooter again and this time it did create a question ticket properly.
I tried the member page link which showed a value of 7mbps, as expected. I'm using a TP-Link TD-W8960N router and can't find any explicit disconnect option in its menu. 😕 Unless I'm meant to invalidate/re-enter my connection settings - will that have the same effect?
I'm reluctant to reboot the router with the potential IP profile reduction that can bring, but I've done that twice over the past eight days anyway, to no avail.
I'm waiting on the PlusNet support now but any further tips you (or anyone else) can offer would be most appreciated.
Thanks again,
Jau
WWWombat
Grafter

Your member page seems to be showing the right value, and with having rebooted the modem twice, you've done as much as you can to try to kick a profile update through the BT systems and on into Plusnet.
There is the possibility that BT's systems have become inconsistent, at which point they can stop behaving sensibly. Plusnet's care team will probably be able to check this, if your fault ticket doesn't trigger any action.
Right now, I don't think there is anything else you can do other than get help from Plusnet, either from here, the ticket, or via phone.
Plusnet Customer
Using FTTC since 2011. Currently on 80/20 Unlimited Fibre Extra.
lexusuk
Grafter

Hi jaymiethomas,
Your profile on our network layer was set to 2500kbps.  I have manually updated this to match your IP profile.  Retest your connection speed.  If you don't see the improvement immediately then you should definitely see an increase once your modem/router has been power cycled.  Let us know if this change does not improve your speed and we will investigate further.
jaymiethomas
Dabbler

Thanks Alex - I can confirm the issue has now been resolved.  Thanks also to everyone who pitched-in with their tips and advice.