Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

does DLM still work?

Gus
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

does DLM still work?

So does it? or do we have to ask for a SNR reset each time it knee jerk reacts to a single loss of sync during maintenance?
Waited 4hours before rebooting and no change
Waited a further 12 hours and no change
Waited a further 19 hours till now and no change
Are we back to the bad old days of DLM taking days to work?
FTTP 500 regrade from Tues 28th November
10 REPLIES 10
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Re: does DLM still work?

What are you waiting for DLM to do to your line specifically?
Gus
Aspiring Pro

To give me back my 6 SNR from its current 12 and in turn increase my IP profile back to 5.8 ish was previously.  Used to be it only changed our SNR if we had a number of lost syncs in a short period of time, but a single lost sync on a stable line and it changed my SNR to 12 and has not returned it back when it should have by now.
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Well the SNR will only go from 12db to 6db is your line quality is 'Green', if it's 'Amber' it change anything.
Your line has been 'Amber' from the historical data I can see. After the re-sync, your Line Quality has gone 'Green' so you should start to see an improvement shortly.
Gus
Aspiring Pro

Then the historical data is going too far back, my line and connection has been stable for months now.  Other than my gateway lottery thread I haven't had any problems with my connection in month's unless you or BT do some work
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

It's not going too far back - the Line Quality doesn't depend on how stable the line is, it depends on the amount of errors the line is seeing and the automatic correction of errors.
If your line errors but not enough to cause your connection to drop, thus keeping it stable, your Line Quality won't go to green to lower your SNR as the lower your SNR is, the more likely you are to get more errors on your line.
For whatever reason, your Line Quality has switched to Green today, so whatever was causing the errors/interference has stopped, which is why DLM is now finding your line more healthy and will reduce your SNR.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Gus,
If you have not already done so, there might be merit in installing and configuring routerstats - http://www.vwlowen.co.uk/internet/files.htm - to monitor your SNRM to determine if you are suffering from external noise.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Gus
Aspiring Pro

Townman I can't afford to leave a pc running 24/7 to run router stats.  but I do not trust the information BT is supplying PN with, a CSA just replied to my ticket and had my radius log attached.  It was connected for 21 days up until that lost sync on the 14th.  If my connection had been amber during those 21 days, why did DLM not trigger a resync before now.
Since January my connection has been the best it ever has and as I stated before the only problem I have has was constant packetloss, which Bob figured out to be faulty BT equipment beyond the gateway.
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Quote from: Gus
back to the bad old days of DLM taking days to work?

I don't think the DLM has ever made positive changes without waiting a few days.
Gus
Aspiring Pro

So end result of that single DLM change, was a SNR reset which did not work.  Then you did a line reset, 10 days are up today and still not change, SNR is 3 and I get millions of errors a day.
So I ask again does DLM still work
Terranova667
Pro

I believe DLM to be a flawed system one that should be got rid of , I come from BE and UK online before that both never had DLM, you didn't have to wait hours or days for your SNR to be changed or your Sync to rise back up it happened in minutes, my fibre connection has been rock solid for nearly three months i had one sync drop and DLM dropped my Profiles by 4Mb, the line has been rock solid since it's been five days later and i'm still waiting for the sync to rise back up but it doesn't look like it will not with DLM in control, i know Fibre is different to ADSL but still both are controlled under DLM and it seems it doesn't do well for either.