cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

disconnections on the test socket

jasonfreeman
Grafter

disconnections on the test socket

My normal broadband line hasn't disconnected once yet but I plugged my broadband cable into the test socket to see if there was any speed difference and then my broadband disconnected like 3 or 4 times, I did everything correct by the guide I read and repeated it the same way each time but still disconnected, is their a reason for this?
5 REPLIES 5
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: disconnections on the test socket

A thought
If your normal socket is a filtered faceplate then you plugged into the test socket is via a filter - is it possible that it is dodgy
jasonfreeman
Grafter

I plugged the cable in with the filter connected to it
jasonfreeman
Grafter

What could cause this?
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Just possible that it's dirty or slightly corroded contacts in the test socket, may have been OK with the (undisturbed) faceplate connection?
Plugging and unplugging a few times might just be enough to 'wipe' the contacts.  Might be worth looking into the test socket with a torch to check that the contacts (fine, gold-coloured springy strips) look clean and properly aligned - evenly spaced and all the same 'height' from the edge of the aperture - it can be possible to clean the contacts but only with great care using a cotton bud and isopropyl alcohol, don't attempt this if you're not 100% confident.  Also check the appearance of the contacts you're plugging into the socket (clean smooth and shiny).
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

What could cause this?

I understand you might be keen to rule out any problems but unfortunately we can't state the precise reasons for a short stint of disconnections such as that. We'd usually be able to shed more light on such a problem as part of an ongoing investigation.
I hope that doesn't come across as sounding negative, I just wanted to set an expectation.
Adam
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team